Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Better Bottle Mold  (Read 2326 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Better Bottle Mold
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »
I was catching up on some cleaning the other day and came across a Better Bottle with some mold.  I usually fill my carboys after rinsing them with warm-hot oxyclean solution and let them soak overnight or two, etc.  Apparently I forgot about this one and didn't rinse it as well as I should, because in the neck of the bottle was a nice disc of mold the width of the neck.  And did it smell bad.  :-[

I dumped the solution (and the mold) , rinsed several times and then stuck it on my carboy cleaner with hot oxyclean for about 40 minutes.  After rinsing with fresh water 2-3 times, it doesn't smell anymore and looks clean.

Do you think I can assume it is clean and no mold spores are living in it after all that?  Since it's a better bottle, I really can't hit it with flame or extremely hot water to sterilize it.

Thanks.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Better Bottle Mold
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »
Maybe hit it with some Camden tablets? 1 tab/gallon?  Otherwise, bleach I suppose.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »
Maybe hit it with some Camden tablets? 1 tab/gallon?  Otherwise, bleach I suppose.

1 tab / gallon isn't enough to be used as a sanitizer. To sanitize equipment with sulfites, use 2-3 Tablespoons of sulfite per gallon, preferably also with 3 Tablespoons of citric acid. That's 30-45 grams and 1 campden contains 0.55 grams.

Bleach would be better anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »
You could use a hot PBW soak or some other caustic. I keep sodium hydroxide around for making soap but it also does a bang up job on the fermenters.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:07 pm »
Not sure what bleach will do to a better bottle.

I'd do a hot soak with a cleaner followed up by sanitizing with whatever you use to sanitize.

I've had some smelly stuff in my better bottles, but never got mold.  They're still working just fine for fermenting.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:29 pm »
Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) will not effect polyethylene (HDPE).  I would hit it with bleach and give it a good rinsing.  Both Clorox Cleaner with Bleach and Clorox Bleach, itself, are sold in HDPE containers. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:29:36 pm by redbeerman »
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim