Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: morebeer reconditioned corny kegs  (Read 6927 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
morebeer reconditioned corny kegs
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »
I bought one of those. I received it a few weeks ago. Today I got it out to clean it up and get ready to fill it tomorrow and this is what I found.

I have been trying to get that outpost, or whatever it is called, off with a 25 inch long half inch drive breaker bar and it absolutely will not budge. You would think they would inspect a keg after reconditioning it. I am all done doing business with them.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: morebeer reconditioned corny kegs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »
Have you contacted them about replacing it?  Doesn't do you much good immediately, but at least you could avoid a total loss.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:49 pm »
I sent them an email with the photo attached. I don't know what they can do about it that won't involve me having to pack this thing up and ship it back to them. It just burns me that they replaced all the O rings and sent the thing out to me like this. I would thought they would have inspected it when they reconditioned it. I wish I would have inspected it closely when I unpacked it. If I did I would have sent it right back.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:25:25 pm by gymrat »
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:19:50 pm »
If they actually replaced all of the o-rings they would have had to take that post off, so if it won't come off now they over tightened it.  You could try soaking it in hot water or spraying it to loosen it up.

The dent on the post is not the worst thing in the world, they usually still work that way although sometimes you have to finagle the fitting on.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:03:17 am »
Do you know anyone with an impact wrench?  Adjust it down to a low torgue setting and let it hammer away for a few strokes.  The hammering will loosen it more easily than trying to brute force it. 

It's too bad so many people think you have to torgue everything down at 500+ ft/lbs to get a seal.  8^(

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
 tschmidlin the fact that they had to have taken that post off is what burns me the most. First they KNEW the keg was bent there. They knew that makes the post difficult to get a socket on. And yet they sold me the thing anyway. To me that is a just plain shoddy way to do business. And if that is the way they do business I will take mine elsewhere. I don't expect a used keg to be in mint condition. But I expect it to at least be usable.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
tschmidlin the fact that they had to have taken that post off is what burns me the most. First they KNEW the keg was bent there. They knew that makes the post difficult to get a socket on. And yet they sold me the thing anyway. To me that is a just plain shoddy way to do business. And if that is the way they do business I will take mine elsewhere. I don't expect a used keg to be in mint condition. But I expect it to at least be usable.

or it took a hit in shipping. Looks to me like whatever made that dent in the post could well have been the same thing that bent the keg. In my experience morebeer is really responsive to customer complaint. If they don't replace the keg THEN I would think about no longer ordering from them but accidents happen in shipping
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:15:44 pm »
The box was in perfect condition. They sent the thing to me this way.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
morebeer reconditioned corny kegs
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:18:37 am »
I've bought several reconditioned kegs from them without a problem. Looks like this one slipped by them or +1 to Mort. Give Em a call and then get upset if they don't respond.
Trey W.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:17 am »
Sometimes people turning wrenches just don't get a feel for tightness.  For example, removing an oil filter from a car should not take a boatload of special tools, but I have them in spite of that.
If you can get the post off, they can simply send you a new one.

Lay the keg down so you can put your knee on it.  Have the fitting on the opposite side so that the leverage of the wrench is across the center of the top of the keg.  You can even put a long pipe or rod through the openings of the rubber part to steady the keg so your wrench doesn't turn the whole thing.

Did they respond to your email yet?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:23 am »
No response yet. But it is early.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:28:23 am »
get some water near boiling, soak that puppy upside down in it - I bet you'll be able to knock it loose after a 30 min soak.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41:51 am »
get some water near boiling, soak that puppy upside down in it - I bet you'll be able to knock it loose after a 30 min soak.

On kegs that still have/had the soda syrup in them a little PBW helps too. Helps dissolve that sugar build up.

That PBW should not help here if the keg was reconditioned. If it still has syrup, I think gymrat will really be ticked.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:49 am »
I have bought almost all my kegs from morebeer and they usually come in great condition. At one point I ordered three and two of them had the same problem as you had. Did just about everything to them with no luck. I don't live to far the morebeer store so I was able to drive them over. They were very good about returning them. Actually the guy at the store was pretty surprised they got shipped out in that condition.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29:38 am »

On kegs that still have/had the soda syrup in them a little PBW helps too. Helps dissolve that sugar build up.

That PBW should not help here if the keg was reconditioned. If it still has syrup, I think gymrat will really be ticked.

i was just thinking that *maybe* it was awfully tough to get off and the clerk who was reconditioning 30-40 kegs that day might have taken a short cut and just slapped a new o-ring on the post.  Its been known to happen before  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281