Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refactometer  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Refactometer
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:58 am »
I must say that IME, refractometer is great for the mash- assuming you calibrate it with your hydrometer.

Beyond that, i just use it as a quick and easy point of reference to where my beer is at or where my starter is at. No two readings are them same with fermented wort, and haven't found any refractometer spreadsheet or calculator that provides the same adjusted gravity reading.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Refactometer
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 09:42:21 am »
My difference was always exceptional - like 8 points off or so. And I use the onebeer.net conversion as well. Not sure why it never worked for me.

Lately my refractometer has been giving me screwy reading on pre fermentation readings as well so I just use my hydrometer now for everything.

Same here.  I have 2 refractometers and they read different from each other and both are different than my hydrometer.  I've gone back to hydrometer for everything.

this may sound dumb, but you aren't looking at it through your glasses are you?  I've compared at least 3-4 refractos to mine (at club brews and such) and they've always been close, usually off due to calibration.

Both with and without, makes no difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell