Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recommend an oktoberfest yeast  (Read 11770 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: recommend an oktoberfest yeast
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:40 pm »
since we are on the oktoberfest - i have a water chemistry question. using the munich water profile inbru n water, i need about 300ppm of bicarb. my well water is plenty high in bicarb, but also has too much sodium at 114ppm. therefore, i must use distilled water and add my minerals.

too bump my bicarb up, am I adding calcium carb? when i add the amount of calcium carb necessary to get bicarb ppm right, my PH shoots up - requiring lactic acid to drop the PH in range. however the lactic acid addition also drops the bicarb. how do i manage this..should i be adding acid malt to manage the ph and skip the lactic acid addition so i can just use moderate amount of calcium carb to hit the desired bicarb ppm? 

for magnesium, what product should i be using..i only see magnesium flakes out there for sale..is this what i use?

Acid malt is just malt sprayed with lactic acid, so that's not going to help with the bicarb. don't know the answer to this though

magnesium, use epsom salts.

epsom salts - same calculation (1 for 1 substitute) used in bru n water for the magnesium addition?

I don't remember cause I never bother with Magnesium, but I THINK it's set up to use Epsom Salts as the magnesium addition yes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
recommend an oktoberfest yeast
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 02:01:57 pm »
since we are on the oktoberfest - i have a water chemistry question. using the munich water profile inbru n water, i need about 300ppm of bicarb. my well water is plenty high in bicarb, but also has too much sodium at 114ppm. therefore, i must use distilled water and add my minerals.

too bump my bicarb up, am I adding calcium carb? when i add the amount of calcium carb necessary to get bicarb ppm right, my PH shoots up - requiring lactic acid to drop the PH in range. however the lactic acid addition also drops the bicarb. how do i manage this..should i be adding acid malt to manage the ph and skip the lactic acid addition so i can just use moderate amount of calcium carb to hit the desired bicarb ppm? 

for magnesium, what product should i be using..i only see magnesium flakes out there for sale..is this what i use?

I think it's unlikely you need to add Mg.  The grain should supply plenty, but I'll leave it to smarter people to confirm that.  Also, you might consider using the color/flavor profiles rather than a city profile. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »

Acid malt is just malt sprayed with lactic acid, so that's not going to help with the bicarb. don't know the answer to this though

magnesium, use epsom salts.

epsom salts - same calculation (1 for 1 substitute) used in bru n water for the magnesium addition?

I don't remember cause I never bother with Magnesium, but I THINK it's set up to use Epsom Salts as the magnesium addition yes.

If you use Epsom you need to account for the sodium it adds, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »
Munich was known for dark beers before water chemistry was figured out. Use the amber malty profile. With your grain bill you don't want that much alkalinity, so amber malty.

Did a good on last year using 833.

You don't need to add Mg, it will come from the mash. If you want to add, use Epsom salts MgSO4. No Na in Epsom salts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 02:32:19 pm »
I've had good results with WY2308, WLP833, and WLP830 but I think I like WY2206 best.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »
You don't need to add Mg, it will come from the mash. If you want to add, use Epsom salts MgSO4. No Na in Epsom salts.

Thanks for the correction, Jeff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:22 pm »
Munich was known for dark beers before water chemistry was figured out. Use the amber malty profile. With your grain bill you don't want that much alkalinity, so amber malty.

good god thanks for that profile suggestion..i couldn't come up with anyway to hit the munich. using amber malty and i'm all set.ive never used magnesium, so we will stick to that plan and let it ride as is.

thanks again
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 08:25:13 am »

is 154F the most appropriate mash temp you would use for an oktoberfest? thinking i'm going with 2206 for my yeast, and with a 154F mash, beer smith calculates FG of 1.014.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:27 am »

You have to decide, as I did a Hochkurz double decoction.

is 154F the most appropriate mash temp you would use for an oktoberfest? thinking i'm going with 2206 for my yeast, and with a 154F mash, beer smith calculates FG of 1.014.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 09:46:31 am »

154ish sounds good to me.  Don't worry too much about what Beersmith predicts for FG.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:27 am »

154ish sounds good to me.  Don't worry too much about what Beersmith predicts for FG.

i may give the Hochkurz double decoction a try with the step hot water infusion procedure..seems reasonably straight forward and simple to perform. 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:30 am »
i may give the Hochkurz double decoction a try with the step hot water infusion procedure..seems reasonably straight forward and simple to perform.

I considered that for the doppelbock I'm doing tomorrow.  I think I'm too lazy....er, pragmatic....to really do it, though.  We'll see what tomorrow brings....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
I use WLP833 (getting back to the original question).  I like the malt profile it leaves.  Also makes a good starter for my doppelbock.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
I use WLP833 (getting back to the original question).  I like the malt profile it leaves.  Also makes a good starter for my doppelbock.

have you used another? any compare and contrast highlights you noticed?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 03:59:03 pm »

I considered that for the doppelbock I'm doing tomorrow.  I think I'm too lazy....er, pragmatic....to really do it, though.  We'll see what tomorrow brings....

C'mon guys, go for it!   ;D
Dave Zach