Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Switching to All Grain  (Read 11919 times)

cornershot

Re: Switching to All Grain
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:06 am »
cornershot, I have never seen any evidence of "hot wort absorbing toxins from the plastic".  AAMOF, after a recent discussion on HBT I'm more sure then ever that there's nothing to worry about.  What am I missing?

Denny,
I mean no disrespect.  Dennybrew was imensely helpful in my transition to all grain. So thank you for that! There's enough articles, books, and documentaries out there stating the dangers of plastic to make me think what if they're right? I'd rather not take the chance of regularly ingesting chemicals that mimic estrogen and cause breast cancer among other nasty things.
 I Still enjoy batch sparging as well as fly sparging and biag. I just do it in stainless steel. Look for the "evidence" and you will find it. Here's an article to get you started: 
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=plastic-not-fantastic-with-bisphenol-a

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:00:26 am »
BPA is in #7 plastic (confirmed in the article posted). Plastic coolers are #2 plastic.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

cornershot

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:38 am »
BPA is in #7 plastic (confirmed in the article posted). Plastic coolers are #2 plastic.

You're right and #2 is considered safer by the government and big business. For those of you who put blind faith in the government and large corporations, go for it. I'll stick to stainless.
Sorry to hijack the thread. BIAB!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:36 am »
Plastic fine...I living proof
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 11:28:28 am »
cornershot, I have never seen any evidence of "hot wort absorbing toxins from the plastic".  AAMOF, after a recent discussion on HBT I'm more sure then ever that there's nothing to worry about.  What am I missing?

Denny,
I mean no disrespect.  Dennybrew was imensely helpful in my transition to all grain. So thank you for that! There's enough articles, books, and documentaries out there stating the dangers of plastic to make me think what if they're right? I'd rather not take the chance of regularly ingesting chemicals that mimic estrogen and cause breast cancer among other nasty things.
 I Still enjoy batch sparging as well as fly sparging and biag. I just do it in stainless steel. Look for the "evidence" and you will find it. Here's an article to get you started: 
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=plastic-not-fantastic-with-bisphenol-a

No offense taken.  Coolers are made of HDPE and AFAIK and have found there is no BPA in HDPE.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:19 am »

You're right and #2 is considered safer by the government and big business. For those of you who put blind faith in the government and large corporations, go for it. I'll stick to stainless.

Actually, I put my faith in a couple homebrewer friends who are plastics chemists.  They tell me HDPE is fine and I have no reason not to believe them.  Use whatever material you like...no problem.  But be sure your decision is based on sound science.  I think I have.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:53 am »

ingesting chemicals that mimic estrogen and cause breast cancer among other nasty things.

then i hope you don't eat soy.  more than one guy has shown up in my practice with man boobs because of this.
Don AHA member

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:11 pm »
My best friend works in a research lab and I must say that plastic scares me too!  After all I've heard my general consensus in regards to plastic is: You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. No matter what they say the plastic is made of or what # it is...  My logic is; it will still contain a ton of endocrine disruptors whether measurable or not...  However, I'm a hypocrite because my buddies all use igloos, I drink it all the time and it's damn good beer..  I myself prefer stainless steel BIAB. my .02
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

cornershot

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »

ingesting chemicals that mimic estrogen and cause breast cancer among other nasty things.

then i hope you don't eat soy.  more than one guy has shown up in my practice with man boobs because of this.

Aren't we off topic enough?  Let's not get into gmo's and pesticides too!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:23 pm »
You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

Bacon is delicious!
Frank

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »

Do you use any plastic fermenters? Do you buy milk or water in plastic jugs? And the BIAB bag you brew in - I'm assuming that's plastic too, right?

I'll take my chances with HDPE and nylon (I BIAB, too) unless solid data in reputable, peer-reviewed medical journals tells me that it is grossly inadvisable.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

cornershot

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »

Do you use any plastic fermenters? Do you buy milk or water in plastic jugs? And the BIAB bag you brew in - I'm assuming that's plastic too, right?

I'll take my chances with HDPE and nylon (I BIAB, too) unless solid data in reputable, peer-reviewed medical journals tells me that it is grossly inadvisable.

Don't trust plastic, especially at higher temps. Never will. I know it can't be avoided but I try to minimize the amount of plastic that touches my food and drink. You're exposed me for the paranoid, health nut, sexy, hippy beer drinker that I am. My sincerest apologies to all the plastic lovers i've pissed off. I'll share a beer with any of you any time! Happy brewing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
I believe mashing, fermenting etc is very safe in hdpe but boiling perhaps not. For a while there I was boiling in coolers and buckets with heater elements. The beer tasted fine but I subsequently came down with some GI complaints that took a couple years to resolve. Things cleared up once I abandoned the practice.

BTW Denny is our resident hippy. You may have to armwrestle him for the privilege.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »

BTW Denny is our resident hippy. You may have to armwrestle him for the privilege.

yes, but he said sexy hippy... 8)
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »

yes, but he said sexy hippy... 8)

OUCH!

www.dennybrew.com