Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Switching to All Grain  (Read 11819 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Switching to All Grain
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
I think the toxicity is related to the color of the cooler - or at least I read that on the internet.... :P
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 06:04:46 pm »
I think the toxicity is related to the color of the cooler - or at least I read that on the internet.... :P

I would assume that this means that toxins do not exist in blue coolers, correct?
Frank

cornershot

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
Hello,
 My husband and I are pretty new to home brewing. We have used kits previously with liquid malt extracts but I wold like to try switching to all grain method. Do any of you have any suggestions for the first route we should take? Methods? Recipes? Suggestion?

We would love some input!

Thanks!
[/quote

Start with a simple all barley pale-colored beer like a blonde ale and cut your tap water 50/50 with distilled or RO.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 07:03:01 pm »
Really thats just a shot in the dark. Contact the local water utility or send a sample off. What if one was diluting something already perfect or of an extremely low ppm concentration of mineral salts?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

cornershot

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 07:25:36 pm »
........unless you have really soft water. It's their first batch. There's enough to worry about. Keep it simple.
At least we're back on topic!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
Very bad advice. Revisit your thinking.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
Grow some skin. We welcome your participation. Don't give up that easily my fellow brewer! ;D

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »
bi bye by

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:41 am »
BPA is in #7 plastic (confirmed in the article posted). Plastic coolers are #2 plastic.
My Igloo cooler is HDPE (#2) only on the outside.  The liner is polypropylene (#5), another one of the plastics that are considered food-safe and heat stable, though there may be reasons to avoid going over 160-170F.  PP doesn't contain BPA, but it can release trace amounts of quaternary ammonium, which might have reproductive effects but is also a pretty ubiquitous anti-microbial used in food preparation, water treatment and cosmetics.

I assumed all coolers were lined with the same plastic.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:46 am »
BPA is in #7 plastic (confirmed in the article posted). Plastic coolers are #2 plastic.
My Igloo cooler is HDPE (#2) only on the outside.  The liner is polypropylene (#5), another one of the plastics that are considered food-safe and heat stable, though there may be reasons to avoid going over 160-170F.  PP doesn't contain BPA, but it can release trace amounts of quaternary ammonium, which might have reproductive effects but is also a pretty ubiquitous anti-microbial used in food preparation, water treatment and cosmetics.

Quaternary ammonium is also used as a sanitizer in the brewing industry. One brewpub I have done a couple of my recipes at use it to sanitize the floor IIRC. The brewers call it "Death Spray".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 09:14:00 am »

Quaternary ammonium is also used as a sanitizer in the brewing industry. One brewpub I have done a couple of my recipes at use it to sanitize the floor IIRC. The brewers call it "Death Spray".

Sanitizing floors?  Man I hope that doesn't leach much - I just mashed a dubbel in my white marine cooler - I guess I'll call it "Death Spray Dubbel"!!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:14 am »

Sanitizing floors?  Man I hope that doesn't leach much - I just mashed a dubbel in my white marine cooler - I guess I'll call it "Death Spray Dubbel"!!

The brewery has a room with open fermenters, should have stated that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 09:50:06 am »

The brewery has a room with open fermenters, should have stated that.

I figured something like that... Still hoping my white rectangular Igloo cooler doesn't leach much quaternary ammonium - yikes!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:13 am »
I wouldn't have looked, but I did per Igloo's FAQ at its website:

"Which coolers will hold hot beverages?
If you own an Igloo Beverage Cube with the friction-fit lid design or a Classic Stainless Steel Beverage cooler – these models can accommodate hot beverages. All other Igloo coolers are NOT recommended for use with hot liquids."

Oh oh :-[

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 10:10:51 am »
I wouldn't have looked, but I did per Igloo's FAQ at its website:

"Which coolers will hold hot beverages?
If you own an Igloo Beverage Cube with the friction-fit lid design or a Classic Stainless Steel Beverage cooler – these models can accommodate hot beverages. All other Igloo coolers are NOT recommended for use with hot liquids."

Oh oh :-[

Calm down.  Same thing they've been saying for at least 15 years.  They say that because they haven't tested them with hot liquids, not because they don't work or aren't safe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell