Author Topic: Berliner Weiss  (Read 744 times)

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
Berliner Weiss
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
I am reviewing the 2012 NHC seminar called "A Perspective on Brewing Weisse-style Beer" again and I just noticed that slide 30 recommends making a lacto buchneri starter at 70-80F for 5-7 days.  Also the fermenter temps during the souring and before pitching the yeast starts at 93 drops slowly to 79 F on day 7 (slide 36).  Frankly these temps seem rather low for lacto.   Any idea why they are so low?  Did I miss where the presenters gave a reason?
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Improved batch sparge and parti-gyle calculator (v.1.6)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Berliner Weiss
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »
I am reviewing the 2012 NHC seminar called "A Perspective on Brewing Weisse-style Beer" again and I just noticed that slide 30 recommends making a lacto buchneri starter at 70-80F for 5-7 days.  Also the fermenter temps during the souring and before pitching the yeast starts at 93 drops slowly to 79 F on day 7 (slide 36).  Frankly these temps seem rather low for lacto.   Any idea why they are so low?  Did I miss where the presenters gave a reason?

If they didn't give a reason for the commercial brew, I'll bet they cooled to ~100F and then lost about 10 degrees when they transferred to the fermentor (the glycol in the jacket was probably around ambient and absorbed heat).

As for the starter temp - I'm at work and can't review the audio, but I'm pretty sure the presenter stated a reason for the temp range. If anything else, its easier to hold a starter at 70-80F than at 100F.

IME - these temps work just fine for both the starter and the pitch temp.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
I think it is practicality like you said.  21 minutes into the presentation, Jess Caudill of Wyeast said that 90 F is about the optimal temp for this lacto strain, but 70-80 F works fine too.
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
Jess Caudill of Wyeast stated in an email to me, "I choose the temps because they are practical for brewing applications.  Also, it is a balance between growing the lactobacillus (acid production) and what is good for the beer from an oxidation perspective."

Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson