Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 67% ABV beer  (Read 3045 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
67% ABV beer
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:20:12 pm »
Lewis, 27, said: “You’re not supposed to drink more than 35ml in one sitting. It should Be poured like it’s whisky.”

Scots pals who brewed world's strongest beer unveil new lethal recipe.. after fans claim first drink was too weak

Pretty crazy but I would love to try it.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

cornershot

Re: 67% ABV beer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:28:29 pm »
Sorry but there ain't no yeast that can ferment to 67.5% so that means it's just a high test whiskey with some beer in it and that ain't beer! It's beer-flavored whiskey.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:30:39 pm »
Hats off to creativity and pushing limits but I am in the camp that think these types of "beers" aren't really beer. The few times I've had super high strength beers, like Brew Dogs, it wasn't very good beer nor very good hard alcohol. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:29:16 pm »
Sorry but there ain't no yeast that can ferment to 67.5% so that means it's just a high test whiskey with some beer in it and that ain't beer! It's beer-flavored whiskey.

I am pretty sure they manage to get this high mostly with yeast. It's possible the freeze concentrate it at some point but you can get a really really high ABV with progressive feeding along.

start out with 1 gallon of 1.090 or so wort, when that has attenuated out most of the way add another gallon of 1.100 wort, this will result in a gravity somewhere in the middle 1.050ish. that's easy on yeast. it attenuates most of the way and you hit it with a gallon of 1.200 wort. at some point the yeast will die form the alcohol, and I am sure it's well before 67.5 percent but might well be upwards of 20% as there are wines that are close to that. so at that point you have to remove some water to get the rest of the way. enter eisbeir.

Most of the time what will hold the yeast back is the high wort gravity and resulting osmotic pressure rather than the high beer ABV.

but anyway. If someone offered me a sip I'd taste it but I agree. it's not really beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:03:33 pm »
Beer: water barley hops yeast... +distillation

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »
At 134 proof, you would have to age that for......ummm......a while for it to taste a whole lot better than rushed (even by moonshine standards) shine.  At that abv, not buying that there's no disitillation anywhere in the process. There's a reason that even distilleries get rid of the "overproof" runnings.
Jon H.

cornershot

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »
To reach 67% through freeze concentration would leave behind all of the bad stuff that heat distillation would remove. I think a 67% eisbeer would be mildly poisonous.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:13:36 am »
... at some point the yeast will die form the alcohol, and I am sure it's well before 67.5 percent ... Most of the time what will hold the yeast back is the high wort gravity and resulting osmotic pressure rather than the high beer ABV.

I buy high ABV fermentation, but considering 70% ethanol is a standard sanitizing and preserving liquid in biology, I can't figure this out. Especially if they don't even try to explain it.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:34 am »
... at some point the yeast will die form the alcohol, and I am sure it's well before 67.5 percent ... Most of the time what will hold the yeast back is the high wort gravity and resulting osmotic pressure rather than the high beer ABV.

I buy high ABV fermentation, but considering 70% ethanol is a standard sanitizing and preserving liquid in biology, I can't figure this out. Especially if they don't even try to explain it.

Agreed. I can buy reaching the mid 20's %ABV via fermentation. Anything above that would require distillation or fractional freezing of some sort.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer