Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quality Vanilla  (Read 4410 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Quality Vanilla
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:58:12 pm »
I just cracked into some unbelievable vanilla beans I ordered recently and thought I'd share. These are by far the freshest, richest vanilla beans I've ever used. Normal beans generally smell pretty monotone vanilla, but these have an incredibly complex aroma. I pick up some great tobacco and leather notes from these beans.

The best part is the price. Even for small quantities it's about 50 cents a bean. They come vacuum sealed in a Food Saver type bag. If you're in the market for Vanilla I'd highly recommend you try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Bourbon-Madagascar-Vanilla-Organic-Ground/dp/B009PASUAS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1365134060&sr=8-11&keywords=vanilla+bean
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Quality Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:06 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:26:32 am »
Sure beats buying them in the grocery store where a bottle of 3-4 shriveled beans sets you back $11.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:21 am »
I've got Denny's BVIP coming up in the rotation. Perfect.  Thanks!
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
Thanks for the tip!  Not planning on brewing with vanilla until the fall, but I just may order some of these at this price. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Quality Vanilla
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:03 am »
I get mine from hawaiianvanilla.com.   Best I've ever run across.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:06 am »
Yeah, but 3 beans in a bottle for $30?  Is it 20 times better than the ones on amazon?  Because price wise, that's what it works out to.  I'm sure they're great and it's nice packaging, but that's a lot of money for 3 beans.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:01 am »
Yeah, but 3 beans in a bottle for $30?  Is it 20 times better than the ones on amazon?  Because price wise, that's what it works out to.  I'm sure they're great and it's nice packaging, but that's a lot of money for 3 beans.

Not having tried the stuff from Amazon, I don't know how it compares.  OTOH, I've tried many suppliers and this is the best I've found.  In the interest of full disclosure, my sister used to work there so I never had to pay for the vanilla. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:38 am »

Not having tried the stuff from Amazon, I don't know how it compares.  OTOH, I've tried many suppliers and this is the best I've found.  In the interest of full disclosure, my sister used to work there so I never had to pay for the vanilla. 
At that price I would totally use it!  Even if it was only a little more than the amazon ones I'd give it a try.  Maybe if I emailed them they'd do bulk beans . . . I'm not going to though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:05 am »
At that price I would totally use it!  Even if it was only a little more than the amazon ones I'd give it a try.  Maybe if I emailed them they'd do bulk beans . . . I'm not going to though. :)

Hey, you're going to Hawaii...want me to hook ya up?  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
In the interest of full disclosure, my sister used to work there so I never had to pay for the vanilla.

Am I hearing Denny's pimping out his sister ??
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
In the interest of full disclosure, my sister used to work there so I never had to pay for the vanilla.

Am I hearing Denny's pimping out his sister ??

Vanilla, dude, vanilla.....;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 12:50:00 pm »

Is that possible?  I wouldn't say no to that!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:06 pm »

If you're going to be on the big island at all, let me know and I'll see if she's going to be around.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »

If you're going to be on the big island at all, let me know and I'll see if she's going to be around.
Not this time - Maui only.  Thanks anyway, maybe next time :)
Tom Schmidlin