Here's the job description. This is one of the best areas in Tacoma. And close to the best pizza on the west coast... "Clover Leaf Tavern"
HEAD BREWER (Tacoma, Washington)
Narrows Brewing Company, Tacoma Washington, is looking to hire its first head brewer. We are a start up brewery that occupies 9,000 square feet in a newly rebuilt, 100 plus year old, waterfront building at the Narrows Marina. The Marina is located in the South Puget Sound in the shadow of the Narrows Bridge. The brewery and taproom will provide a unique waterfront atmosphere and destination serving the greater Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia areas and is accessible year round by land or by sea!
The Brewery is a 15 barrel, Premier Stainless brew house with 15 and 30 barrel fermenters and bright tanks. It is built for large scale distribution but will also focus on the sales out of the taproom as well. We will initially offer 5-7 beers with a number of creative seasonals.
Prior to the official opening of the Brewery, we have a small pilot brewing plant that the head brewer will use to develop recipes and promote the Narrows Brewing brand in the region. As a start-up, all employees will be expected to participate in all aspects of the business: brewing, cleaning, keg washing, cellaring, packaging, marketing, etc.
The head brewer will lead recipe formulation, yeast management, ordering supplies, coordinating distribution, etc. This position offers exciting working and growth opportunity to a passionate brewer.
Ideal person has brewed on at least a 15 BBL system in full production, has created and brewed more than 10 "styles" of beer, has at least 6 years on the brew deck and has working knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations as well as packaging and distribution. This person needs to the have a passion for developing beers that will become brewery favorites as well as the ability to create timeless Narrows Brewing "Classics". This person needs to understand barrel aging, sours, yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
• Responsible for the entire brewing and quality control processes and hence should be well versed in scheduling, brewing, cellaring and packaging operations.
• Recipe development; create award winning Narrows beers.
• Manage raw materials, inventory control, scheduling and Hop contracts.
• Sanitary sampling, yeast cell counts and record keeping of all beers produced.
• Cellar operations including DE filtration, tank transfer, sanitation procedures.
• Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Coordinating operations with Packaging, Maintenance, QC and Shipping departments.
• Strong verbal communication and organization skills.
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
• Hands-on leadership skills for developing and training a team.
• Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills and to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
• Manage client & vendor relationships.
• Participation in events, festivals, promotions, etc. (this is a must).
• Possess or obtain a State of Washington Class 12 liquor license (alcohol server card).
• Competitive salary based upon previous work experience and expertise.
• Benefits package includes medical, vacation, and personal days.
• For the right candidate, relocation costs may be considered.
Send resume, a couple paragraphs about yourself, and references.
Please let us know about all relevant work experience including size and type of equipment that you have worked on as well as any awards and accolades that you have received for your beers.
• Location: Tacoma, Washington
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
• Please, no phone calls about this job!
• Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.