Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best yeast for "American" Tripel  (Read 7572 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Best yeast for "American" Tripel
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:45 am »
Planning on making a Tripel in the next few months, but using American hops.  Similar to Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold.  Not a Belgian IPA-- but a properly balanced Tripel using Amarillo hops instead of noble. 

Can anyone suggest a good belgian yeast strain that would play nicely with the peach and tangerine flavors from the Amarillo?

Offline fritzeye

• 1st Kit
Re: Best yeast for "American" Tripel
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:05:10 pm »
Planning on making a Tripel in the next few months, but using American hops.  Similar to Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold.  Not a Belgian IPA-- but a properly balanced Tripel using Amarillo hops instead of noble.  

Can anyone suggest a good belgian yeast strain that would play nicely with the peach and tangerine flavors from the Amarillo?

Should be WLP 530. Check out Can You Brew it on The Brewing Network, they interview Scott Vacarro from Captain Lawrence and he was generous enough to paint a good picture of how to brew it.
Good luck, that is a great brew to brew. Just be sure to make a big starter ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:24:42 pm by fritzeye »
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »
I've been using Wyeast #3522-Belgian Ardennes and like the combo with Amarillo.  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:19:48 am »
Should be WLP 530. Check out Can You Brew it on The Brewing Network, they interview Scott Vacarro from Captain Lawrence and he was generous enough to paint a good picture of how to brew it.
Good luck, that is a great brew to brew. Just be sure to make a big starter ;)

Awesome.  Scott Vaccaro is one of the really nice guys in an industry full of nice guys.   

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:40 pm »
I've been using Wyeast #3522-Belgian Ardennes and like the combo with Amarillo.  ;)

I like WLP550 for my tripels, and love to blend in Amarillo too, especially during the aroma adition. fantastic combination.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:32 am »

I like that combo, too, for a "Belgian/American IPA", but I guess I don't think of 3522 as a tripel yeast.  To me, it's a bit too spicy and phenolic for what I consider a tripel to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:19 am »

I like that combo, too, for a "Belgian/American IPA", but I guess I don't think of 3522 as a tripel yeast.  To me, it's a bit too spicy and phenolic for what I consider a tripel to be.

I've always liked 550 with my tripels (American Hops or otherwise) - admittedly it has been a  few years since I brewed a straight-up tripel since I started using American hops in the beers (I like Amarillo and Aurora blended together) - but just out of curiosity, what is your favorite tripel strain?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:41 am »
but just out of curiosity, what is your favorite tripel strain?

Hands down, WY3787.  Maybe I'm in a rut, but that's pretty much the only one I use for dubbel and tripel.  I figure that if Westmalle invented the style, that's the yeast to use.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:04:13 am »
I like that strain for my dubbel but have always preferred preferred the WLP550 for my tripel. Guess just different strokes. OTOH you don't seem to care for phenolic beers, do you?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:04 am »
I like that strain for my dubbel but have always preferred preferred the WLP550 for my tripel. Guess just different strokes. OTOH you don't seem to care for phenolic beers, do you?

Generally, I prefer most phenolics over esters.  I run 3787 pretty cool to reduce the esters.  What Wyeast strain i the 550 comparable to?  I almost never use Whitelabs, so I'm not familiar with the numbering.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:17:54 am »
According to the Kristen England chart WLP530 is comparable to WY3787 and the WLP550 is the WY3522.

Don't really know how comparable they are, though. For some reason I have always gotten the WL strains for my Belgians and on side by side I always liked the WLP550 better than the WLP530.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:40:26 am »
Maybe I'm associating the 3522 too much with Chouffe beers, none of which really remind me of most tripels.  Or maybe I'm associating tripels too much with Westmalle and overlooking other examples.  At any rate, I find 3522 "spicier" than I usually think of in a tripel.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:42 pm »
Planning on making a Tripel in the next few months, but using American hops.  Similar to Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold.  Not a Belgian IPA-- but a properly balanced Tripel using Amarillo hops instead of noble. 

Another option is to try to culture the yeast from a bottle of your favorite Tripel.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
Maybe I'm associating the 3522 too much with Chouffe beers, none of which really remind me of most tripels.  Or maybe I'm associating tripels too much with Westmalle and overlooking other examples.  At any rate, I find 3522 "spicier" than I usually think of in a tripel.

Yeah, I agree that 550 is spicier. Maybe that's what I like about it. Also, it reminds me a little bit like a wheat beer yeast. Maybe that is what you don't like about it?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »
Yeah, I agree that 550 is spicier. Maybe that's what I like about it. Also, it reminds me a little bit like a wheat beer yeast. Maybe that is what you don't like about it?

As long as it doesn't taste like cloves and bananas, I'm good....;)

www.dennybrew.com