Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP565 What a monster  (Read 4284 times)

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
WLP565 What a monster
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:18 am »
Brewed a 1.059 Saison Thursday evening. Let fermentation get rolling and ramped her up to about 85 Saturday morning. I checked my gravity yesterday and its already at 1.010. Added some Brett this morning. Hoping for a good turnout. WLP565 is a beast. I have heard about stalls, but I've used this 3 times and had awesome attenuation.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:29:53 am by scottyg354 »
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: WLP565 What a monster
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:37 am »
If you think WLP565 is a beast, you should try WY3711.  It would have been at 1.002 this AM :P

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
You know, I don't know about that. 3711 works perfectly fine and it's reliable, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe it ferments any more "monsterly" than WLP565/3724
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:07 am »
I do actually have one question tho. I tossed my brett b in when it hit 1.010 so the brett had some fermentable to chomp at. How long does it usually take for the brett character to show up?
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:20 am »
I do actually have one question tho. I tossed my brett b in when it hit 1.010 so the brett had some fermentable to chomp at. How long does it usually take for the brett character to show up?

From what i have read, 3-6 months. the longer the better it seems.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:21 am »

Depends on a lot of factors. Pitch rate, temps, etc. As a data point, I have a Saison-Brett that took 7-8 months to really get good. For the first 3 months, the Brett was not noticeable.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:10:51 pm »
Well I guess my question is, brett character aside. Will it be drinkable by August? Or would I better better of brewing one minus the brett and letting the brett saison age?
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:12:48 pm »
Well I guess my question is, brett character aside. Will it be drinkable by August? Or would I better better of brewing one minus the brett and letting the brett saison age?

Id let the brett age.  a lot of people are of the opinion that you dont let brett know when its done, it lets you know.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

narvin

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:19 pm »

Definitely drinkable... it's not like pedio or other bugs that get ropey and produce diacetyl at first.

Whether or not you think the Brett character is ready is another story.  I've used Orval dregs in secondary at warm temperatures and had wild Brett within a month, so much so that it started with a distinct cat pee aroma and only mellowed to horse blanket after aging for another two :-)  Other times, Brett has needed more time to become distinctive.  It really depends on the strain, health, pitching rate, and other factors that are hard to quantify.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:45 am »
I just tapped a Berliner Weisse for a party Saturday and I brewed it in October using the White Labs Berliner Weisse blend.  The Brett was there and the beer was well received among a non-homebrew crowd for a sour.  Without the Brett, it would have really missed the mark, so I'm glad I aged it.  Went with the syrups, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Re: WLP565 What a monster
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:11:57 am »

Two data points: the Saison Brett I did used only bottle dregs from Boulevards Saison Brett copitched with 3724. It has always been pleasant and drinkable, but has changed in character, going from WY3724 only to a bit funky to full on Blvd Saison Brett tartness and funk in 7-8 months.
I've also pitched a smack pack of Brett Lamibicus into a mostly (1.026) fermented BDSA. For a while, it tasted like dirt, then a leather glove, then I didn't drink it for a year. Now, it's so good that it's one of my prized possessions.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
I used Brett B. So who knows. I'll bottle it up in another month or so and let it sit for a couple months. See where it goes from there. I'll try one in August. If its a no go then i'll wait until Thanksgiving/Christmas to try again. Oh impatience....
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »
I have found 3711 to be pretty "monsterly." :D 

Coincidentally, it also makes a fine brew.

I'm going to try 565 pretty soon.  Gotta try everything at least once.  Right now I've got 029 in the fermenter, we'll see what happens.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 05:24:17 am »
I've got my first saison in primary right now using the Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast.  I have not checked gravity but when it seemed like fermentation was over and I was going to rack it, I looked closely and saw tiny bubbles coming up the side of the carboy.  Then again a week later.  And again a week later.  It's been in the primary for almost 3 weeks and it is still fermenting, very slowly.  Still cloudy, still glugging along.  I guess my advice out of all of this is, if you want a bone dry beer and avoid gushers, patience is key.  Don't think it's over until you know for certain it is over.  Gosh... I won't be at all surprised if I hit an FG of 0.999 on this one or something ungodly low like that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.