Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Temperature Control  (Read 17087 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermentation Temperature Control
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:23 am »
As many of you know, we are a very small brewery.  Basically homebrewers that can sell our beer.  We brew 10 gallon batches on a Top Tier stand with keggles.  (upgrading soon to 1bbl)  Fermenting in buckets in temp controled chest freezers. 

well, over the past week, two of the freezers finally gave up the ghost.  So, rather than try to get more, we've decided to build a little fermentation room inside the brewery.  Planning about a 10X8 room, framed and insulated.  We plan on using an airconditioner and space heater.  As we generally have 8-10 buckets fermenting at one time, it's not really feasible to tape a temp probe to the side of a bucket. 

So, we will keep the room at 67 for all fermentation for all beers (no lagers of course)

Does anyone have first hand experience going this route? 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Fermentation Temperature Control
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:25 am »
Stop by Bluebird and I can show your our setup.  Our air conditioner keeps the space at 40F (it struggles when it's hot) so 67F shouldn't be a problem.  Although I would aim lower, like 64F to offset the heat generated by the fermentation, and pitch at 62F.

I highly recommend a coolbot to keep the air conditioner working well
http://www.amazon.com/CoolBot-Walk-In-Cooler-Controller-conditioner/dp/B003VSLTAI
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
Here's how I have my Fermentation Box set up. It's 4Wx6Lx6H. The Temp Controller Probe rests next to the conical. The AC is 5000 btu rated. All I did is reposition the copper override sensor from the front (behind the filter) to the back so it never thought it was below 60F. You can sorta see it in one of the pics. Cheers!!!

The small fan above the AC moves the warm air out of the room.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Fermentation Temperature Control
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
I have used fermwrap around carboys in a cold room with great success, if you have a cold room you could just go that route.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:26 am »
Stop by Bluebird and I can show your our setup.  Our air conditioner keeps the space at 40F (it struggles when it's hot) so 67F shouldn't be a problem.  Although I would aim lower, like 64F to offset the heat generated by the fermentation, and pitch at 62F.

http://www.amazon.com/CoolBot-Walk-In-Cooler-Controller-conditioner/dp/B003VSLTAI

I checked out the coolbots.  Do you think they are necessary for fermenting temperatures?  It's not gonna take too much Control. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
How hot and humid does it get in the brewery?  You can probably start without one but know it is there if you have problems.  Doug at Malt and Vine went with a beefed up AC unit for his walk in after he blew out a smaller one, he might be using a coolbot too.  Shoot him an email and ask, tell him I mentioned it.  He has a bigger temp drop, but I think you want a bigger space he has.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:17 am »
How hot and humid does it get in the brewery?  You can probably start without one but know it is there if you have problems.  Doug at Malt and Vine went with a beefed up AC unit for his walk in after he blew out a smaller one, he might be using a coolbot too.  Shoot him an email and ask, tell him I mentioned it.  He has a bigger temp drop, but I think you want a bigger space he has.

I've never measured humidity, but even in the day or two that hits 80 over here, the brewery stays a cool 70-75.  And our space will be 8X12, and 8 feet tall.  Not all that big, we oprdered a 5,000 BTU air conditioner.  The heater will be used more often than the cooler to keep it at the 64 you recommended.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »
I think you're right you'll be using the heater more :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »

Tom, that is a way cool device, pun intended. Never seen this gadget before.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:14 pm »

Very cool, indeed.  I've considered getting a coolbot to make a lagering room in my basement.  Right now, I've got a nice little mini fridge "lagerator," but I'd like to have the freedom to ferment multiple lagers at the same time.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »
People talk about the product but I have never heard any feed back from users (it there are any).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:25:12 am by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
We have one at the brewery for the walk in.  It works, but I don't have anything to compare it to, I haven't tried it without it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:32 am »

That is very cool.  I've been thinking about converting a part of my basement in to a walk-in for storage.  I can even use one at my mortuary!   ::)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:04:26 am »
We finished the fermenting room Saturday, and already have eight buckets in their fermenting away.  And still have room for 16 more. 

We can brew much more often, and it's nice because we can see what's in each bucket without having to lift it up. 

The airconditioner is barely used, and this little heater we got keeps it very nice.  We have the heater set to turn off at 65 degress, and the air conditioner to come on at 70.

And all for just over $1,000.  We are very happy.  There's pictures at our facebook page, just search Dungeness Brewing.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »
Are you monitoring the actual temperature in each bucket?
Tom Schmidlin