Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann floor burner review  (Read 4485 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Blichmann floor burner review
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »
I wanted to post a quick thread on the Blichmann floor burner I've used 3x now. Granted I have nothing to compare it to but this thing is great. Brings 5 gallons to boil very quickly, when I've done 3 gallon boils its incredibly fast even though I only have the regulator open slightly.
After 3 60 minute boils my 20 pound propane tank is half empty, a real fuel sipper. During boils the regulator is only opened a couple of turns and it maintains a steady rolling boil. Solid construction and nice looking.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:14 pm »
Thanks for the review. I use a Bayou Cooker or something like that. I've been dropping some pretty serious hints to my wife about getting me one for my anniversary present. The. I'll move the old one to HLT burner and use the new one for boiling.
Trey W.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Blichmann floor burner review
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »
I have the Blichmann burner with the leg extensions and natural gas orifice. If you can go NG, it works really well.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »
I too have the Blichmann Burner and the leg extensions.  I was going to build a brew stand, but the burner w/ the legs is basically the same thing. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
What is the point of the legs?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:19:20 pm »
What is the point of the legs?

The legs raise the burner off the floor 24 inches.  With the burner off the floor, it's easier to open the valve on the kettle to transfer the wort to the fermenter.  Also, I use a pump to whirlpool while cooling.  With the burner and kettle higher, it's easier to prime the pump and the pump works better when lower than the kettle. 

I tossed around the idea of building a small brew stand, but realized I can accomplish the same thing with the extension legs. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »
+1 on the Blichmann, and the legs. Gets your kettle up to the right height so you're not breaking your back bending over all the time. I even made a sparker to light mine with so I don't have to mess with aim n' flames anymore.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:06 pm »
I've got the Blichmann burner and love it.  I don't need the legs.  I got one of the tables pictured in this thread: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11764.0 (I use a piece of sheet metal to insulate the burner from the rubber mat)

That way I can keep the burner low during use and raise it to fill my fermenter when I'm finished.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­