Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA with Azacca, Citra, and Mosaic  (Read 2701 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
IPA with Azacca, Citra, and Mosaic
« on: February 28, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »
I have each of these hops on hand and I'd like to use them in an IPA with an ABV over 6-6.5%.  I'm thinking of using Chinook to bitter upfront. 

A couple of questions:
1) What would you recommend in using for hops, i.e. timing and amounts.  I have enough of each of these hops to be flexible.
2) What do you recommend for the grain bill?  What goes well with these hops?
3) Any suggestions for yeast with these hops?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: IPA with Azacca, Citra, and Mosaic
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 07:38:15 pm »
You could ask 5 brewers for ideas and collect 20 recipes for this. If you're bittering with Chinook, then that makes me think West Coast IPA. For a 5 gallon batch I'd go for 60 IBU from the Chinook at 60 minutes. I'd use 2 ounces each of your flavor hops, one hop added at 15 minutes,  one at 10, and one at 5 minutes. I'd use an ounce of each as dry hops at the tail end of fermentation.

Grain bill should be simple and stay out of the way. I'd say 95% Pale malt and 5% from either a light Crystal malt or something like Victory to a 1.060 OG. Good yeasts are WY1056, WLP007, BRY-97, or anything else clean and dry. Add Gypsum to hit 200-300ppm of sulfate.

Of course those hops make a great NEIPA as well. If you prefer that route, throw out everything I said, along with the Chinook.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 11:11:30 am »
After further research from the AHA recipe database, I think I'm going to use this as my starting point:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/tropical-haze-new-england-ipa/

The only thing I'm struggling with a bit the dry hopping: first dry hop 5 days after 80% attenuation, and then dry hop for another 5 days.  I've just shifted to cold crashing at the end of fermentation at dry hopping at 35F for two days and kegging with decent results. 

Thoughts on this dry hop schedule?

Offline imlaseke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:48:55 am »
I brewed this recipe over a year ago, and I’ll brew it again in a month. It’s really, really good. Keep the hop schedule as is and see if you would change anything next time. I typically increase the whirlpool addition. It’s nice to have some hops added during the boil for a small bitter addition, which this recipes does. You’ll like the results.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:08:31 am »
I’ve never done two whirlpools, I’ll have to try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:17 pm »
Drinking this beer now and really like it.  I will definitely brew it again.  I did use a 40/30/20 whirlpool schedule as it suggests, and then I did the first dry-hop five days in.  The second dry-hop I did after a cold crash two 35F and then dry-hopped two days before kegging. 

I know there is a lot going on with this beer in terms of hops and timing, but I like the way it turned out and probably wouldn't change anything about it.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 11:25:22 am »
What are the temperatures at those whirlpool points?  150F, 130F, 110F?  Also, can anyone recommend a substitute for Mosaic?  I have the Azacca and Citra on hand.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 05:27:58 am »
 I did them all at 180F.

Offline sapperaviator

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:04:29 pm »
What sort of flavors and aromas did you get. I’m planning a mango habanero pale ale with these hops for the mango flavor. Not sure when and what ratios to get the best results

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 07:35:33 am »
What sort of flavors and aromas did you get. I’m planning a mango habanero pale ale with these hops for the mango flavor. Not sure when and what ratios to get the best results
Citra is probably the most "mango-y" hop there is, especially when used as a dry hop. If you want to get the most mango out of your hops I'd make sure that Citra was the biggest part of the blend, with at least a couple of ounces in the whirlpool and dry hops. I prefer cryo hops for this when I can, since it gives a better ratio of hop oils to vegetative matter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer