Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers  (Read 20364 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 10:50:27 am »
I'd be really interested in seeing a regional version of this. IMO Urban Chestnut makes some of the best beers I've ever had, but there's no way they'd ever end up on that list.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 11:14:14 am »
Taking nothing away from the quality of the beers on the list, but it is kind of a most famous beers list, isn't it?

And most likely they're famous due to the quality.  I don't see your point.

That's OK.  Any other reasons though?  Maybe some breweries are bigger and more well-distributed than others?  No foreign beers in the Top 50 either.  Does that seem likely?
Is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale really THAT good (multiple top 10's) or does everyone just know it and is willing to throw it on there when filling out their list?  Was Guinness really the 7th best beer in American just three years ago? And those 12 Rahr beers in the Top 50 that same year - seems legit!

cheers--
--Michael

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:30 am »
Bell's Two Hearted is very good, but I don't know about number 2. There are a ton of very good ipas. Dark Horse Crooked Tree is very legit... Not on the list. Great Lakes Commador Perry is a great IPA, but GL is only available in 12 states.
Frank

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:48 am »
I'm sure that distribution plays a role as does reputation.  Most of the beers on the list aren't available here in central NE although I did run into a Heady Topper last winter.  Interesting thought about AHA membership being stronger in the West although I suspect that coincides with the number and quality of breweries there.

Nothing against Jeter but no way he's been the best SS in the AL for several years (KC fan who might have a bias).  He is a true pro.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
There are a little over 30000 AHA members, and how many vote?

The Rahr thing was after the brewery had a roof collapse, IIRC.s It would not take many local AHA members to skew the results.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »
This list is unscientific.
I think this is a key thing.  Of course it is unscientific, but it's kind of fun.

I have had pliny a bunch of times - it is a great beer.  It is definitely in my list of best 1000000 beers and is certainly in the top 100%. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 12:36:35 pm »
This list is unscientific.
I think this is a key thing.  Of course it is unscientific, but it's kind of fun.

I have had pliny a bunch of times - it is a great beer.  It is definitely in my list of best 1000000 beers and is certainly in the top 100%. ;)

Now that's commitment, Tom! ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

The Rahr thing was after the brewery had a roof collapse, IIRC.s It would not take many local AHA members to skew the results.

Don't we have this same argument every year?  Isn't the percentage who vote fantastically minimal?

What's higher, the percentage that vote for best beers or the percentage that vote for the AHA board?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
I'd be really interested in seeing a regional version of this. IMO Urban Chestnut makes some of the best beers I've ever had, but there's no way they'd ever end up on that list.

Urban Chestnut and The Civil Life make some of the best beers - but don't tell anyone! We don't want to run out of our supply here in Missouri!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »

Don't we have this same argument every year?  Isn't the percentage who vote fantastically minimal?

What's higher, the percentage that vote for best beers or the percentage that vote for the AHA board?
they listed the number that voted last year in the magazine article, about 3000 or so.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »
I have had pliny once...even though it is distributed where I live.  It was kegged and to be honest I wasn't blown away but none the less it was a great beer.

Personally, I think two hearted is better but I am from Michigan and am biased.

Regardless, its a fun list and I find it fun to try to drink and check off the list.  This reminds me...I have to call the liquor store tomorrow to see if they received Pliny (they get it every 4-6 weeks) and sell out by the time they close. 

Cheers.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline strukanb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:56 pm »
Even at the brewery itself Pliny is limited to 6 bottles for carry out. I think the rarity alone adds a lot to people's opinion. It's gotta be good if so many other people want it, right?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 05:37:46 pm »
Even at the brewery itself Pliny is limited to 6 bottles for carry out. I think the rarity alone adds a lot to people's opinion. It's gotta be good if so many other people want it, right?

Like Dark Lord at Three Floyds in Muenster, IN.  But having had it once, it sure is good for a RIS, especially after a 2 year hold in the cellar.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
I haven't seen the list yet. It Elysian Bete Blanche on it?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:03 pm »
I haven't seen the list yet. It Elysian Bete Blanche on it?

Here's the link to the eZymurgy edition.

http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/frame.php?i=162776&p=&pn=&ver=flex

I got my hard copy in the mail yesterday.
Frank