Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's brewing today?  (Read 16470 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: What's brewing today?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
Today I brewed 11 gallons of all Citra Pale Ale - 1.054 OG, 30 IBU's calculated plus a 30 minute hop stand got me maybe around 40 IBUs.  Hydro sample was yummy.  I'll dry hop with Citra too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 07:44:24 pm »
I've tried Widmer's Citra blonde. Not bad, but a little on the catty side for me. Makes me wonder if it's a Citra thing or a widmer thing?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:18 am »
Friday I did 10 gallons of weizen and 10 gallons of IPA, heavy on the mosaic.  Smelled great going in to the fermenter.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:53 am »
I've tried Widmer's Citra blonde. Not bad, but a little on the catty side for me. Makes me wonder if it's a Citra thing or a widmer thing?

Jim, there's a pretty strong consensus that it's the 60 minute, maybe even the 45 minute additions of citra that can give it a cat pee flavor.  I've made versions of this a couple previous times, avoiding a 60 minute addition, and never got any cattiness.  This 11-gal batch I went with 1.5 oz. FWH, .5 oz 10 minutes, 2.5 oz 5 minutes, and 2.5 oz at flameout, followed by the hop stand.

This approach has had me smackin' my lips waiting for a new batch when the last keg kicks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:23:07 am by brewsumore »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:37 am »
Thanks I may try as a late add sometime

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:39 am »
Yesterday I planned on a Summer Cream Ale. The plan went a little astray when I took my fist reading in the boil. It was way high. Started scratching my head to figure out why only to discover the recipe was for 7.5 gal not 5 gal.
No worries, just ran the boil as planned then added back extra water to get to my SG of 1.052 and split the batch. 5 gal with WLP080 and 2.5 gal with WLP013 (only thing I had saved from earlier batch).   
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 12:03:25 pm »
Brewed a CAP with the Huacek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

If you have been to NHC, you would recognize Joe and Andy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:51 pm »
Brewed a CAP with the Hudecek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

Fixed that :)  I can't believe they did 40 gallons today, but it helps when you have 2 mash tuns and kettles.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:05 am »
Brewed a CAP with the Hudecek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

Fixed that :)  I can't believe they did 40 gallons today, but it helps when you have 2 mash tuns and kettles.
My bad.

Along with 2 mash tuns and kettles, a jumbo HLT so there is always hot water.

They had 100 gallons brewed for the Octoberfest party, now 140. They have a lot more to brew. When you coming?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:47:16 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:50 am »
I thought I had a busy weekend, until I saw some of your schedules - I made 10 gallons of pilsner on Saturday and racked out of primary to keg 25 gallons (2 ten gallon batches of pilsner and a dopplebock 5 gallon) then on Sunday I brewed 10 gallons of an amber lite lager, racked 10 gallons of Flanders Red to an oak barrel (5) and a glass carboy (5), racked 5 gallons of a dry cream ale to keg, adding malto dextrin (needed a little more body) and corn sugar (priming) in the keg, and thoroughly cleaned my system, while smoking two racks of ribs.  Harvested yeast from all primaries.  It rained, so I didn't get to the yard work....but the wife is out of town, so no worries there.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 06:31:53 am »
First day of vacation. Was going to paint the house but it's raining. Lost my cream ale to a broken spigot so maybe I'll be brewing a cream ale today. Might bump up the ibu and call it a blonde

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:06 am »
I brewed a helles yesterday. 5.25lbs pilsner, 1.75lbs munich 10L, 4oz acid malt, spalter to about 18IBUs, and 34/70 yeast. RO water, with enough calcium chloride to get to 50ppm calcium. Excited to see how it turns out.
Jesse

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 12:55:14 pm »
Today I brewed 11 gallons of all Citra Pale Ale - 1.054 OG, 30 IBU's calculated plus a 30 minute hop stand got me maybe around 40 IBUs.  Hydro sample was yummy.  I'll dry hop with Citra too.

I brewed and all Citra IPA.  1.068 with 74 IBUs.  Fermenting away today when went home for to check on it, I mean for lunch.  ;D
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

narvin

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 01:45:01 pm »
Too hot.  Was gonna brew 15 gallons of Lambic wort but I'll just relax and wait till after the conference.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
I kegged a 10 gallon split batch of Premium American and Mexican Lager on Friday. Saturday brewed an APA hopefully along the lines of a Mirror Pond.  Hit my numbers and volumes spot on so was pleased with that. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified