Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pronunciation of "Saison"  (Read 75238 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Pronunciation of "Saison"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:33 pm »
I don't know... to me that's like news reporters that bust into an accent whenever they pronounce a hispanic name. It's jarring and sounds pretentious. I kinda split the difference and sort of go "seigh-zawn" or occasionally "seigh-ssawn". But I'm French Canadian so I kind of get a pass on mangling continental French anyways...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »
Language is fun.

+1!  On my father's side is Hawaiian, Samoan and Filipino.  My mother's side are from North Carolina and "Gawgia."  My wife's family are all Czech and Irish farmers from NE Iowa.  Next time we are all together again, I'm gonna have to record some of those conversations!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »
I don't know... to me that's like news reporters that bust into an accent whenever they pronounce a hispanic name. It's jarring and sounds pretentious. I kinda split the difference and sort of go "seigh-zawn" or occasionally "seigh-ssawn". But I'm French Canadian so I kind of get a pass on mangling continental French anyways...
+ 1. 
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »

That reminds me of Food Network's Giada De Laurentiis.  She speaks with a "normal" American-English dialect then overly pronounces the Italian.  This drives my wife crazy, however, I'm not listening to anything that Giada is saying ::)
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:45 pm »
+2

Circa 1985... Nicka rrrrrrrrragua

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »
+5 to Giada.  I'm with you.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:19 pm »
+5 to Giada.  I'm with you.

Yeah, her Italian is about as pretentious as her way-overly toothy "don't let your gums dry out" permagrin.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »
I pronounce it Say-zon, because i'm not french and that's how it looks to me like it should be pronounced, even if its wrong! :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:38 pm »
I pronounce it Say-zon, because i'm not french and that's how it looks to me like it should be pronounced, even if its wrong! :)

+1 - Right dair wit you.  8^)
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:15 pm »
I thought in French language the consonant at the end of a word isn't pronounced unless it is followed by a vowel.  Wouldn't Paris be "pair-ee?"  Not that it really matters.  From an linguistic anthropological perspective as long as a group of people understand the message then the language is valid.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »
Even though Texas is a "whole other country" I run into the same thing in Missouri where we have towns with French names but you are looked at as either a fool or pretentious for pronouncing Versailles as "Ver-Sai" or Creve Couer as "Krev-ka."
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »
Even though Texas is a "whole other country" I run into the same thing in Missouri where we have towns with French names but you are looked at as either a fool or pretentious for pronouncing Versailles as "Ver-Sai" or Creve Couer as "Krev-ka."

In southern Illinois you're marked as an outsider if you don't pronounce Marseilles as "Mar-sails." Cairo is "Kay-row."
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 02:41:05 pm »
Thank God it's not that goofus sounding ply knee the elder!   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 02:44:27 pm »
Re: Missouri, yeah, it's baffling here. Versailles = Ver-sales, Lebanon = Leb-uh-nin, Kimbrough = Kimbroo. People are really assholes here if you don't know how to say things in their peculiar, messed-up way. It's not bad in the cities, but outside of KC/STL/Springfield, if you speak standard American English, people are pretty rude. I swear, when I moved here from CO people treated me like I was a Martian.

In CO, everyone said "Say-zahn" which is probably why it's so weird for me to hear everyone say "Say-sawn" here, with a stress on the middle s. Say-zahn is at least closer.

And yeah, I hear you on the whole "correct pronunciation sounds pretentious" thing. If you order a croissant from an entrepreneur, with proper French pronunciation, you'll sound pretentious. I think it's just as pretentious to go out of your way to deliberately mangle the French, like RAM described in Texas court.

@Bboy - the n is like, barely pronounced, in your nose, not with your tongue touching the top of your mouth, like a "regular" n. For the nasal n, you tongue shouldn't have to move.   
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »
Say-Zon?

I was constantly teased when working in Las Vegas for my Texan y'alls or yawls. Sorry, can't help the way we say things. It is what it be.

But when the waiter corrected me at Drai's for saying Belgian endive~in-dive with "it's awn-deev" it nearly got nasty.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:53:51 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis