Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Question  (Read 11810 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
CO2 Question
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »
Is there such a thing as nonfood grade CO2 bottles? Specifically, is it ok to use a paintball gun CO2 bottle to dispense beer?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: CO2 Question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:01:20 am »
Quite a few people use them for portable setups with no issues.  I think I have seen kits to convert the connections (sorry no links at the moment).  CO2 is CO2 (AFAIK) so the container shouldn't matter.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:27:27 am »
I always get mine at the welder's supply. Can't imagine it being considered "food grade" but have not had any issues at all. I think the paint-ball canister has already proven itself as a useful tool for dispensing beer. Go for it!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:04:05 am »
I always get mine at the welder's supply. Can't imagine it being considered "food grade" but have not had any issues at all. I think the paint-ball canister has already proven itself as a useful tool for dispensing beer. Go for it!
I used to get CO2 from a welder's supply shop back in the day before my LHBS started getting it.  No worries.
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 08:28:01 am »
It wasn't the CO2 I was concerned about as it was the bottle. I have heard paintgun bottles often contain oil. Upon more research I discovered it is the cartridges that contain oil. A byproduct of manufacturing them.

I bought one of these http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-adapter-co-2-go.html and Beverage factory gave me a $25 store credit for posting a picture of my kegorator on their facebook site so I used that towards their cheapest regulator.

All I have left to purchase now is a 10 gallon cooler and I will have everything I need to build my picnic tapper :)
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »
Does this mean you are not worried about the oil anymore?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:10 pm »
In retrospect I would just buy the bottle at my CO2 supplier. I brought two new 5 pounders when I started kegging only to exchange them at airgas. Could have saved money by just paying the no exchange fee.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:22:45 pm »
Does this mean you are not worried about the oil anymore?

Pretty sure there IS oil in some of the disposable paintball cartridges.  On eBay some are labeled specifically as food grade for soda water etc.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
From what I have been reading oil is a concern in the cartriges but not in the bottles.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:42:02 am »
From what I have been reading oil is a concern in the cartriges but not in the bottles.

You can get cartridges from William's Brewing and other places that are specifically for food uses and contain no oil.

The box of Crossman cartridges I have all contain oil and marked that they do.  I always thought the oil was to provide lubrication to the air gun in the same way you put a few drops of oil in pneumatic tools.

I don't use the Crossman cartridges for beer.  I actually don't use them for anything anymore.  They must be going on 20 years old...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »
OK, I grabbed a C02 cartridge and slapped it onto my keg - before reading the "not for human consumption" warning :-[.  Is my beer ruined? :(  I popped it off, and sampled a glass - didn't notice any off flavors.  Will hit the homebrew store on Friday to pick up the "human-safe" ones...
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »
Yes, anything labeled not safe for human consumption is totally safe in beer so long as you don't consume it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »
Dude you kill me  ;D
Jon H.

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
so...is my beer ruined? :'(
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
I highly doubt it's ruined. Did the head collapse almost immediately?  I would expect oil would drop it like a rock.