Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Outdoor Gas Cooker  (Read 4081 times)

Offline jrp5u

• 1st Kit
Outdoor Gas Cooker
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
My husband and I have been brewing on our electric stove and we find that it is so inconsistent and takes so long. I was looking in to buying a Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Outdoor Gas Cooker
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:56:07 pm »
My husband and I have been brewing on our electric stove and we find that it is so inconsistent and takes so long. I was looking in to buying a Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane.

I have the SQ10 and am quite fond of it. I wish mine had a wind guard around the burner and it looks like the newer models do so that's good. I like the SQ over the SP because the square platform makes the kettle seem more stable to me. This could well be imagination though so... grain of salt and all that.

Some folks on here have been raving about the blichmann burner of late. I believe it's more expensive but something to think about.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »
I use a Camp Chef Explorer
Has two burners, wind shield, sturdy. Handles two 14 gallon pots no problem

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »

This is the burner I've been using for a year. I love it. Just bought a Blichmann so now I have the Bayou for HLT and I'll use the new one for BK.
Trey W.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:16:42 am »
I have the SP10 with the wind guard but it doesn't do much.  I'll wrap heavy duty tin foil around it to help block the wind.  I've been using it for about 5 years and it works well.

I am currently looking into getting a blichmann floor burner.  From most of the talk I've heard, they are wind-resistant and use less propane per batch.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

The camp chef looks awesome.  You use it right out of the box on the stock frame?

I'm going to lean on the wife for a 14 gallon pot for my birthday.  Or a grain mill.  Maybe both if she really loves me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:39 am »
I admit that I brew indoors on my gas stove. But if I where to move outside, I'd seriously consider having a natural gas supply line installed, and get an NG regulator etc. I have that arrangement on my outdoor grill and it's great not having to worry about running out of propane at the least convenient moment.

Offline johnhansen64

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:18 am »
My wife bought me the Bayou cooker KAB6 and it is great. Huge burner, 210,000 BTU's, and gets things boiling very quickly. When I am ready to brew 10 gallon or larger batches this burner will work.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:07 am »
I used an SP 10 for 2 years. It was a good burner but I bought a Blichmann and the difference is like night and day. However so is the difference in price
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:27 am »

This is the burner I've been using for a year. I love it. Just bought a Blichmann so now I have the Bayou for HLT and I'll use the new one for BK.

Edit: I have the KAB4 and love it.
Trey W.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:23 am »
I have the SP10 with the wind guard but it doesn't do much.  I'll wrap heavy duty tin foil around it to help block the wind.  I've been using it for about 5 years and it works well.

I am currently looking into getting a blichmann floor burner.  From most of the talk I've heard, they are wind-resistant and use less propane per batch.

Wind resistance isn't the big advantage of the Blichmann.  For me, the stainless steel not rusting and the quiet were the the big things that I noted when I switched. 
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:08 am »
I have the SP10. Works fine for my 5-6 gallon brews.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline garymarybv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:02 pm »

I was looking at the Camp Chef to replace my patio gas grill and an old coleman camp stove. Do the 30,000 btu burners have enough output to boil that 5 gallon batch fast enough? Currently my wife and I boil on a gas stove in the kitchen and would like something outside. The multi purpose Camp Chef looks like it would work well if 30,000 btu is enough.
Gary

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:57 am »
I do 5 gal batches that start out 7 gallon. From mashout temp to boil in about 15-20 min.