Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about competition judging  (Read 6148 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Question about competition judging
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:35 pm »
As I understand, in BJCP events there are two judges that judge a beer.  Do they discuss the beer together when assigning scores or do they judge the beer completely independent from each other? 
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Question about competition judging
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:31:29 pm »
Sometimes there are 3 judges.  It can work either way.  Generally, each will score the beer independently, then will discuss their impressions and scores.  Sometimes they discuss as they judge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:46:56 pm »
It just seems to me that one judge could influence another judge easily if they are discussing the beer while they're judging.  It seems often that they match up an experienced judge with a novice, which I can understand.  But, my point is does this put pressure on the less experienced judge to agree or reinforce the more experienced judge's impressions about the beer?
Dan Chisholm

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »
I try to tell anyone I judge with if they don't detect what I do that is fine. We all perceive things at different threshold levels and taste is based upon experience. If you have never had or experienced something you will have no taste or smell memory of it.

Experienced judges should not be pressuring anyone to do anything but judge at a rapid pace.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »
Having stewarded competitions over the years, I'm always amazed at how much the judges of a beer are in basic agreement. Basically a good beer is a good beer and a bad one is a bad one.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:53:29 pm »
What I've usually seen is that the judges will complete the scoresheets independently, then at the end they'll compare notes to see if there's anything they missed or, you know, look for opportunities to learn something.  They're usually pretty close so only minor tweaks are needed if any.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline wactuary

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »
What I've usually seen is that the judges will complete the scoresheets independently, then at the end they'll compare notes to see if there's anything they missed or, you know, look for opportunities to learn something.  They're usually pretty close so only minor tweaks are needed if any.

Yes, and this is exactly how it's supposed to be done per the BJCP guidelines for how to judge.

What I've seen is a lot of the discussion is around interpretation of the style, which helps quantify the score adjustments appropriately, or finding the right descriptors for a shared perception. It can be helpful to talk to help verbalize what you perceive.

Tweaks to scores or verbiage can result. But it's not typical to be off by too much with the other judges at the table.  And it should not be that the experienced judge influences or dictates the scores for the newer judges.

I'm sure there are exceptions where that occurs, but it's against what we are taught, and I believe it's the exception.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 05:10:39 pm »
Judges should be within 5 points if each other. Sometimes there are three judges, but usually two. You judge the beers independent of each other, then discuss, and adjust scores as necessary.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:33:56 pm »
Thanks for all of your feedback.  This year I've entered more comps than my entire 6 years of brewing and I am trying to understand the process.  I hope to steward a comp soon which will give me much more insight and maybe try my hand at becoming a BJCP judge in a year or so.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:17:08 am »
BJCP guidelines judges them to comment and score independently, then discuss. Discussion usually changes scores, but not comments. Lower ranked judges are expected to be more willing to change their scores if there is a large difference, but usually they come to an agreement.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:08 am »
As a BJCP judge, I try not to influence my judging partners in any way, but sometimes it can't be avoided. It's best to allow your judging partner to complete his assessment and then discuss the results. I've judged beers that have been infected to the point that they were undrinkable, and this may require some discussion prior to finishing the judging process. So, there are exceptions. But, as a general rule it's best to discuss the beer after the score sheets are completed.
Ron Price

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »
So I got to thinking some more about this... Personally I disagree that scoresheets between different judges should necessarily fall within X points of each other.  With decent judges, they usually will agree, but this should NOT be forced to within X points.  Not ever.  Honestly... who's to say that one judge is "more right" than another?  I might only be Recognized but I've read scoresheets from National rank judges who claimed they could SMELL astringency in the beer... baloney!  Just because I haven't bothered to re-test in 6 or 7 years to attain Certified or National or whatever doesn't mean I should allow myself to be too easily influenced by a higher ranked judge's opinions.  If I think the other guy is wrong, I ain't changing my score, and I would expect the same the other way around as well.  I think there needs to be a place for bullheads like me.  Who's to say I'm wrong and another guy is right?  My opinions are just that -- my opinions.  I get mad when the comp organizer says I need to be within 5 points of Joe Schmoe who I don't even know when I think he's way off.  I'm sure the same is true the other way around when Bubba Gump with zero experience thinks he's tasted the best beer in the universe, gives it a 40, and I score the same beer a 21.  These are opinions.  We try to get as close as we can, and like I say, with good judges, we usually will.

Perhaps my real wish is that we could get a whole lot more feedback from any one competition.  One Recognized BJCP judge plus a Gump just ain't cutting it.  I wish we could get feedback from 3 or 4 BJCP ranked judges at every comp.  Perhaps not feasible today, but maybe in 50 years it will be common.  That'd be sweet.  Otherwise the only way to know if your beer is really REALLY good is to enter each beer into at least 3 competitions.  And that gets real expensive real quick.  So anyway...

;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:35 pm »
So I got to thinking some more about this... Personally I disagree that scoresheets between different judges should necessarily fall within X points of each other.  With decent judges, they usually will agree, but this should NOT be forced to within X points.  Not ever.  Honestly... who's to say that one judge is "more right" than another?  I might only be Recognized but I've read scoresheets from National rank judges who claimed they could SMELL astringency in the beer... baloney!  Just because I haven't bothered to re-test in 6 or 7 years to attain Certified or National or whatever doesn't mean I should allow myself to be too easily influenced by a higher ranked judge's opinions.  If I think the other guy is wrong, I ain't changing my score, and I would expect the same the other way around as well.  I think there needs to be a place for bullheads like me.  Who's to say I'm wrong and another guy is right?  My opinions are just that -- my opinions.  I get mad when the comp organizer says I need to be within 5 points of Joe Schmoe who I don't even know when I think he's way off.  I'm sure the same is true the other way around when Bubba Gump with zero experience thinks he's tasted the best beer in the universe, gives it a 40, and I score the same beer a 21.  These are opinions.  We try to get as close as we can, and like I say, with good judges, we usually will.

Perhaps my real wish is that we could get a whole lot more feedback from any one competition.  One Recognized BJCP judge plus a Gump just ain't cutting it.  I wish we could get feedback from 3 or 4 BJCP ranked judges at every comp.  Perhaps not feasible today, but maybe in 50 years it will be common.  That'd be sweet.  Otherwise the only way to know if your beer is really REALLY good is to enter each beer into at least 3 competitions.  And that gets real expensive real quick.  So anyway...

;D

I agree! I have also thought that this would allow for some interesting statistical analysis of judging and judges. If a particular judge is consistently 5 points above the other 2-3 judges she is working with perhaps her rank needs to be re-examined?

As dmtaylor mentions, this is not going to happen any time soon but we can always hope.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:08:28 pm »
interesting...I put my American Barley Wine this year in three different comps all within a time frame of 2-3 months.  I've received scores from 23-43 on the same beer...yeah a 20 point difference from BJCP judges.  The 43 was from the highest ranking judge, so I 'll have to agree with him ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline tmsnyder

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »
Initially the judging is independent by 2-3 judges, and we don't talk while we fill out the scoresheets.  Grunts, moans, 'wow!' remarks are deeply frowned upon.  We should be doing it uninfluenced by the other judge.  Definitely no table talk while the sheets are filled out.  After arriving at a number we then compare and try to get the scores within some range which is instructed to us by the judge director prior to the start of judging.  Usually it's 5-7 points max.

After discussion, the judges might make a few quick additions or edits to their scoresheets .

And it's true, after a couple beers the judges will often end up in lockstep and after judging independently will find that they are making the same comments and scoring them the same.

If you really want to learn about how beer is judged, volunteer to steward at your local homebrew competition. They are always looking for help.  It's a great way to improve your brewing too, with the knowledge you pick up from hearing the entries discussed by the judge panel.  Generally, the stewards are poured a sample right along with the judges.

As I understand, in BJCP events there are two judges that judge a beer.  Do they discuss the beer together when assigning scores or do they judge the beer completely independent from each other?