Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: malting your own  (Read 10212 times)

Offline idbrew

• 1st Kit
Re: malting your own
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
I can't just toast after drying cause I need enzymes. The only thing I have found so far is that we are looking at 90-105f for pale malt and 'a little higher' for Mild although the site where I found the ' a little higher' advice had typos so the kilning temp given for pale was 95-105c which is WAY to hot as it would denature the enzymes so I am not trusting that much.
Is it possible that the malt can take higher temperatures without losing enzymes in the kiln (vs the mash) because of the lower moisture?

Just a thought, I don't actually know what I'm talking about :)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
I can't just toast after drying cause I need enzymes. The only thing I have found so far is that we are looking at 90-105f for pale malt and 'a little higher' for Mild although the site where I found the ' a little higher' advice had typos so the kilning temp given for pale was 95-105c which is WAY to hot as it would denature the enzymes so I am not trusting that much.
Is it possible that the malt can take higher temperatures without losing enzymes in the kiln (vs the mash) because of the lower moisture?

Just a thought, I don't actually know what I'm talking about :)

It is possible I guess. Don't know still doing research.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:32 pm »
The barley I planted this spring is soon going to be ready to harvest.  I was hoping this thread would come back to life. 

Has anyone had any luck home-malting?

I won't have enough for a full 5 gallon batch, but combined with my hops, it'll be fun to have an "estate" brew of my own.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »
There was a presentation on home malting at NHC. Hopefully the video will be posted soon if you weren't there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 11:33:41 am »
There was a presentation on home malting at NHC. Hopefully the video will be posted soon if you weren't there.
That was a great presentation. One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to let it rest a few weeks at least before attempting to malt it.the barley wants to rest for a season before sprouting. You can speed the process a bit by cold stratifying the seed in your fridge our freezer to simulate the passage of the seasons.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 08:52:45 am »
The Homebrewer's Garden has a decent section about malting grain. It's like $10 on kindle.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 07:17:30 am »
Mort,

Keep us posted on this.  My neighbor has a couple of acres and we've always talked about growing and malting.  He put in 5 hop strains for me with 15' poles and they are mammoth.  We are actually harvesting the early crop today. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
Mort,

Keep us posted on this.  My neighbor has a couple of acres and we've always talked about growing and malting.  He put in 5 hop strains for me with 15' poles and they are mammoth.  We are actually harvesting the early crop today. 

Dave

I will if I ever get off my a$$. I have made a commitment to source some barley seed before november this year. We're going ot plant where the corn/squash/beans are growing now and they are almost done. Maybe lay down a cover crop to get us to the fall.

I am thinking I will get a sack of un-malted barley from one of the micro malters and grow some and try to malt some. After my quinoa experience I have a little more confidence.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce