Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kitchen re-do  (Read 18054 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Kitchen re-do
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 08:28:25 am »
Also we're pretty much 100% decided on doing a concrete countertop. We are going to get this book: www.amazon.com/Concrete-Countertops-Simple-Step---Step/dp/1561588822 Which is supposed to make everything very clear. Even if I screw up somehow, it will still be orders of magnitude cheaper to have done countertops ourselves than to have bought even a less expensive granite top.

If you're going to do concrete countertops, Cheng is the guy.  From my research, they seem like they can be a fair bit of work particularly if you're going to grind it and finish it for a kitchen.  I still may do one for an outdoor grill table, but a wood top looks increasingly more attractive due to the ease factor.

Our granite was not a budget buster, and it was nice to come home and have it there without having had to do any additional work.  Plus, you pay them to measure and get it right.  If it's wrong, that's their problem not yours.  Mis-pour or mis-measure and you'll be doing two concrete tops.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 10:29:58 am »

Anyway garbage disposals are illegal in many parts of France and many other EU countries. In French they're called "Broyeur d’évier" but are pretty much unknown except by us 'mercuns. They're not cheap - I found exactly one for ~500 euros. Germany has them it seems, look for Küchenabfallzerkleinerer.

Disposals are an inefficient way to get rid of kitchen wastes.  It costs far more for the treatment plant to handle it than just keeping it out of the wastewater and carting it off to a landfill or incinerator.  That can be ameliorated if the treatment plant has digestion processes and gas recovery, but its still not perfect.  If you are on a septic system, then disposals are absolutely not the way to go.  You will end up filling the tank up with solids and have to clean it out far more often.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
A disposal should never be used on a septic system and grease should not be put down the drain of any septic system. It's not so much they will fill the tank, it is the solids could be pushed into the leachfield and blind the soil surface to the point the system would not operate and maintenace would have to be required (read as a new leachfield installed). (At one time I was what you might call an expert on septic systems.)

As far as a disposal in the kitchen the waste should as much as possible be placed in the refuse. Grease as well. We tend to use it when things spill over in the sink and then run it to be sure the particulates are as small as possible before they enter the sewer system. My wife tends to put more down the disposal than I do. Something one should avoid in the disposal is egg shells, they really don't break down in the long run.

With all that in mind, I do like having them to be sure I never clog my drains in the kitchen with inadvertent waste entering the drain, but Martin is correct, do not use them as the main place to discard kitchen waste. (Yeah, in a previous life I designed WWTPs too.)

- -

Phil, what I am talking about is to the right of the deck door and left of the cabinet. My guess would be a lightswitch.

The compost bucket can become a stinky thing. Think about that before you leave a hole in the countertop, since you will have to manage that waste and more than a few days in the compost pot can become nasty. You probably already compost and know that. I had a plan to put in a compost area in our kitchen, but ditched it. We don't generate enough compost waste since I am so rarely home until the weekend.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »
We did an kitchen renovation  about 2 months back. We were happy with the cabinets and counter tops. Replaced the $0.79/sq. ft. Contractor grade tile with 10.79 travertine. Travertine backsplash, with travertine electrical outlet covers. Also did some nice glass and SS surrounds for the can lights, and put in some LED's which make it much brighter. The appliances were getting somewhat suspect, so most were replaced with SS, and we went from an electrict to a gas stove. Efficiencies are higher, and the appliances are much quieter.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »
Tile is a great topic. We settled on travertine for the backsplash. It was subway 3" x 6" and came in about $5 per square foot plus thinset. grout and sealer. I had painted the wall and so I had to sand the drywall with 80 grit and remove the paint since it was semi-gloss. What a pain. Then with a natural stone you use thinset instead of mastic. Mastic can be used with a porcelain, but will bleed through a natural stone. Once it dried I sealed and then waited 72 hours and grouted. Another 72 hours and then sealed the tile and the grout. I found the travertine had natural fault lines and would occasionally break as I finished the cuts on the tile saw. The stone we selected had a bevel so I bought a wet grinder with honing stones and put the bevel back on using the grinder to finish the tile before install. If I had to do it over again I would not paint the backsplash unless I planned to leave it as paint.

Light trim is a topic all it's own. We did can lights and I selected specular trim for the 6" perimeter lights and then 4" adjustable trim on the three recessed island lights so I could aim them at the island. They were adjustable 30 degrees IIRC.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:30 am »
A disposal should never be used on a septic system and grease should not be put down the drain of any septic system. It's not so much they will fill the tank, it is the solids could be pushed into the leachfield and blind the soil surface to the point the system would not operate and maintenace would have to be required (read as a new leachfield installed). (At one time I was what you might call an expert on septic systems.)

As far as a disposal in the kitchen the waste should as much as possible be placed in the refuse. Grease as well. We tend to use it when things spill over in the sink and then run it to be sure the particulates are as small as possible before they enter the sewer system. My wife tends to put more down the disposal than I do. Something one should avoid in the disposal is egg shells, they really don't break down in the long run.

With all that in mind, I do like having them to be sure I never clog my drains in the kitchen with inadvertent waste entering the drain, but Martin is correct, do not use them as the main place to discard kitchen waste. (Yeah, in a previous life I designed WWTPs too.)

- -

Phil, what I am talking about is to the right of the deck door and left of the cabinet. My guess would be a lightswitch.

The compost bucket can become a stinky thing. Think about that before you leave a hole in the countertop, since you will have to manage that waste and more than a few days in the compost pot can become nasty. You probably already compost and know that. I had a plan to put in a compost area in our kitchen, but ditched it. We don't generate enough compost waste since I am so rarely home until the weekend.

Agreed with both of you on the disposal, its purpose would be to get the tiny bits and keep the sink from clogging. We fill up our 2 liter (~half gallon) compost bucket every two days, and it gets changed immediately, so the smell isn't too much of an issue, especially if the lid fits tightly enough.

And yes you're right, it's a light switch, but all of the electrical in the kitchen is run through conduit which has been stuck to the wall (2-foot thick solid stone walls do not have cavities for running cable), so moving it is easy peasy.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 03:49:41 am »
Tile is a great topic. We settled on travertine for the backsplash. It was subway 3" x 6" and came in about $5 per square foot plus thinset. grout and sealer. I had painted the wall and so I had to sand the drywall with 80 grit and remove the paint since it was semi-gloss. What a pain. Then with a natural stone you use thinset instead of mastic. Mastic can be used with a porcelain, but will bleed through a natural stone. Once it dried I sealed and then waited 72 hours and grouted. Another 72 hours and then sealed the tile and the grout. I found the travertine had natural fault lines and would occasionally break as I finished the cuts on the tile saw. The stone we selected had a bevel so I bought a wet grinder with honing stones and put the bevel back on using the grinder to finish the tile before install. If I had to do it over again I would not paint the backsplash unless I planned to leave it as paint.

Light trim is a topic all it's own. We did can lights and I selected specular trim for the 6" perimeter lights and then 4" adjustable trim on the three recessed island lights so I could aim them at the island. They were adjustable 30 degrees IIRC.

Hey, for once, you guys pay more than me for something! I can get 7x7 travertine 3/8" thick for ~$8 / square foot. Who knows about the quality, but I'm used to paying 2-3x what you guys do for stuff so I'm happy to have some good news for once :)

----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:01 am »
Phil, about the prices, it could be worse. You could be in Belgium. If you're ever looking to get away on a short road trip, go to Germany. You could do a Kolsh beer weekend and pay for with with the savings you'll get from buying construction gear there. It's amazing how much cheaper stuff is there. We saved 20 euros just on a wheelbarrow. You could pay for the trip in paint alone, assuming paint costs you similar fortunes as here.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 04:02:19 am »
More on the Germany thing - I've known people with company cars and a gas card who would regularly drive to Germany just for groceries.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:33 am »
I may be mistaken but according to the sketch the fireplace gets covered up?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:48 am »
Tile is a great topic.

My advice on tile is let the wife pick whatever she wants.  We've got small glass tiles and I paid for the installation rather than attempt it myself.  Regardless, a tile backsplash gives a much more finished look than just paint.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 09:40:55 am »
Phil, about the prices, it could be worse. You could be in Belgium. If you're ever looking to get away on a short road trip, go to Germany. You could do a Kolsh beer weekend and pay for with with the savings you'll get from buying construction gear there. It's amazing how much cheaper stuff is there. We saved 20 euros just on a wheelbarrow. You could pay for the trip in paint alone, assuming paint costs you similar fortunes as here.

20 euros a pint for paint here ($25/pint)
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 09:41:25 am »
I may be mistaken but according to the sketch the fireplace gets covered up?

Nope. You're just seeing my laziness in action. Fireplace stays for sure!
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 09:42:58 am »
Tile is a great topic.

My advice on tile is let the wife pick whatever she wants.  We've got small glass tiles and I paid for the installation rather than attempt it myself.  Regardless, a tile backsplash gives a much more finished look than just paint.

Yep... We're doing a custom tile backsplash for the oven/range using some tile from these guys (most likely)... http://www.jossefrance.fr/fr/carreaux-terre-cuite-emaille/bretagne/reference.php?decor=47&collection=62&ambiance=148
----

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »
Man, I wish I had the space you guys do in my Kitchen.

We just did a remodel a couple years ago and are still working on the finishing touches. Mainly the trim under the cabinets since the floor just got finished a few months ago.

We replaced the cabinets and tore down a pantry that was built in the middle on the kitchen. It's only purpose was a cold air return for one bedroom upstairs. Moved that into a wall instead and got rid of the hideous pantry. Because of our space issues I had to keep the fridge where it is and the range but I added an island with some much needed counter space. Amazing how quickly the island now gets filled up with Junk.

I have been looking at led lights recently and have come across this company. http://www.elementalled.com/
They have some decent prices on dimmable leds. I bought some from Lowes because I didn't tear into the walls to put in any wiring for under cabinet lights and have some cabinets that don't connect and just have a few setup. Good luck!
Mike --- Flint, Michigan