Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 112918 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 23, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
YouTube is your friend here Amanda. Loads upon loads of channels for gardening with instructions on how to install irrigation.

Yeah... I've done that a few times over the course of the last 6 months or so. I think I found all the bad/annoying/product placement channels. Any recommendations? I don't think I can watch another crappy gardening YT video.  :-\
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Redbird Brewhouse - Finishing Touches on the Basement Bar

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 23, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
I like Growing Your Greens. The guy is a bit of the stoner hippy type and pretty entertaining. Some of his guests tend to spout conspiracy theories regarding aluminum, Monsanto and chemtrails, but I filter that out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUnFheTbVpASikm0YPb8pSw

Lately he has be testing a subsurface watering system, and those videos did seem a little fanboi, but he recently posted one where he was complaining about some of the issues.

This playlist is pretty solid for raised beds. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB85C9A5921497978
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Online pete b

• Brewmaster
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
Just a clarification: when I say drip tape I'm not talking about the sort of drip hose that uses emitters at certain points. That being said, its probably more appropriate for gardens or fields with rows than raised beds.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:14:24 PM by pete b »
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 23, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »
I'm looking for a combo of drippers and soakers but our water is real hard. Not sure how well the drippers will last.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 23, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
I'm looking for a combo of drippers and soakers but our water is real hard. Not sure how well the drippers will last.

Yeah - that's something else I need to consider. :/

At any rate, I'm looking at a website called Drip Depot. They have plenty of stuff to learn from.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

At any rate, I'm looking at a website called Drip Depot. They have plenty of stuff to learn from.

Just what I was looking for. I think they must have everything.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 23, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »

You may want to consider some rain barrels too.  We put out 3 of them last year and typically had more water than we could use.  A 20'x24' roof will fill a 55 gallon barrel from .1" of rain.  It's pretty cool to get 150 gallons of garden water from a light shower.  All kinds of options out there.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 23, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
I've been pricing large water tanks and wish the trigger had been pulled earlier. It floods so bad out back that in a rainy season... Anyway I could have filled several 1000 gallon tanks with what I pumped out over the weekend with twice that to spare. Easily. Pump ran flat out for ten hours. Plan is for a floodwater fed system in times o'plenty.

One of the guys at my old job has irrigation in his raised beds and it was extremely productive despite an extremely harsh and dry Central Texas summer climate. I always have problems at the height of summer. Saving rainwater could help a lot.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
Rain capture would likely work better for euge than me. a) he gets much more rain(!) and b) I would have to pump it from the house collection point anyway. Good idea though!

I'm pricing out a basic, expandable system at the Drip Depot place.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 23, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »
Drip irrigation will be a piece of cake for you.
Make sure you have an anti-siphon hose bib or get an valve with a vacuum breaker if you go that route, for backflow protection.  A simple in-line pressure reducer to ~25psi and a filter assembly to prevent clogging of the emitters and your off and running. There really are tons of options depending on your application. I would encourage you to visit an irrigation/landscape specialty shop like Ewing.  Knowledgeable people can show you the range of options you have and you can see and tinker with various components to find the right mix for you.  Good luck, have fun.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Oregon Brew Crew
BJCP Certified

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:41 AM »
 I am using one of these at the moment

::)

It is however, a vintage model called the Colorado Sprinkler...made in Illinois by Nelson.  ;D

Easy irrigation is key! I sure wish I had an automated system.  My irrigation water does not get into the canal until mid April, so all my starting has to get hand watered.

Tried the burlap on carrots Pete.  Got some peas and beets in.
Vert, spotted a lone asparagus spear already....garden location much earlier than wild fare apparently.

Plums and apricot in full bloom.  >:(  Freeze forecasted for tomorrow.

Anyone grow Okra?