Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacation ideas in the Huntsville, AL area  (Read 2983 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Vacation ideas in the Huntsville, AL area
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 05:13:05 pm »
Both my boys loved Space camp. My youngest went twice.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2021, 06:40:31 pm »
Looks like our next trip will be over the Christmas holidays.
Plan to do a little house / job hunting in the area while we are down. 
Appreciate suggestions for areas to look at / or avoid.

Offline elanelown

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 10:09:18 am »
Nashville is pretty nice, I think. You say you don't like country music, but it's a wonderful place to relax, listen to nature, and enjoy the views. Plus, you'll still know you can visit your son at any time and see how he's doing at camp. Sometimes camps declare quarantine because someone gets the coronavirus, so you can quickly take your son to your camps. There are even tickets on dbfahrplan to get you out of there faster. Or will you be driving there in your car? I find that almost all kids love train rides. My son loves trains (not the subway).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 05:27:13 am by elanelown »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Vacation ideas in the Huntsville, AL area
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 05:06:48 pm »
Looks like our next trip will be over the Christmas holidays.
Plan to do a little house / job hunting in the area while we are down. 
Appreciate suggestions for areas to look at / or avoid.
What field do you work in or want to work in?

Places to live is tough. There are a lot choices. Depending on where you work the center of town may not be downtown Huntsville. Most jobs are on Redstone Arsenal or in the Cummings Research Park. So most people commute to those places in the morning which defines traffic patterns.

Madison- great schools. Lots of families are drawn here. To me it is flat and crowded but the schools and houses are nice.

Zierdt Rd. area: this area may have a better name. Brand new minor league baseball stadium. Lots of new neighborhoods and shops. West of the arsenal but there is a gate over there for them to get on post.

Huntsville- we have good schools too. We also have the ridge of mountains that go through the east side of town. I like those. There are lots of neighborhoods in Huntsville. Hampton Cove and surrounding neighborhoods are the eastern suburbs. They are surrounded by mountains. Southeast Huntsville is older established neighborhoods. Houses are a bit more affordable. Schools are excellent there. Downtown/Five Points/Blossomwood is good but expensive.

North of Huntsville/ Meridianville/ Hazel Green, etc (North of town): affordable. More land. More spread out but not too far. County schools. Good but not quite same reputation. I’m a college professor and I can say smart kids come from here too.

Harvest/Toney (Northwest of town): More land. More spread out but not too far. County schools. Same as above.

Moore’s Mill/New Market (Northeast of town): more affordable newer neighborhoods. I wonder about the commute. I don’t know. County schools. Same as above.

Decatur/Morgan County: 30 miles west. More affordable. Nice but long commute with lots of traffic on the interstate to get there and back.

Athens: 30 miles north west.  See Decatur.

Arab: 45 miles south. More remote. More affordable.

I am sure I am missing a lot of places. There are brand new homes and established neighborhoods in pretty much all of the listed areas above. The schools are pretty good throughout the region. Also, we have several very good magnet schools, so you can get your kids in a better school if the neighborhood school is not what you want. So, it’s a tough choice.

*our mountains are not mountains. They are hills that rise 500-1000’ above the rest of town. Still awesome though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:44:32 pm by tommymorris »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2022, 05:30:41 pm »
Here are the “not really mountains” I live in and hike in every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 07:46:29 pm »
Here are the “not really mountains” I live in and hike in every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t break your arm!