Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm excited  (Read 4074 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: I'm excited
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
Nice score! I have 4 ounces from the 2012 crop of the 291 that I haven't brewed yet. I actually have 7 or 8 different experimental varieties that I will be running through my 1-gallon Pale Ale process sometime this spring. I'll be interested to hear your results.

erockrph - ever use any Azacca hops?  My great LHBS is getting some new varieties and the guys there are pretty fond of it.  They describe it as citrusy, stone-fruity, with some pine. ~ 13 -16% AA. I'm gonna work it into an APA or AIPA soon.

Just got mine in from Yakima Valley a couple of days ago. I'll be including these with my other experimental single-hopped beers.

It's really incredible how many new and experimental hop varieties are around right now. What is even more surprising is that most of them have distinct flavor profiles, and aren't too similar to existing varieties. I'd say that at least half of these new hops go into my toolkit immediately, another quarter are reserved for niche purposes, and maybe only a quarter I have no use for. That's a pretty good record given how many varieties we already have to choose from. It will be interesting to see how many survive the test of time in 10 years or so.

I agree.  I'm using Mosaic, Calypso, Caliente semi regularly in IPA blends now to name a few. Pretty fun to experiment.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »
Ditto.  I'm hopeless when it comes to hops.  Never met one I didn't want to experiment with.  Every new variety that comes out, I want to jump on.  I have a freezer full right now, and have to keep telling myself to use 2012s before I buy more.

Discipline.  Ugh.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »
Ditto.  I'm hopeless when it comes to hops.  Never met one I didn't want to experiment with.  Every new variety that comes out, I want to jump on.  I have a freezer full right now, and have to keep telling myself to use 2012s before I buy more.

Discipline.  Ugh.

+1      :)
Jon H.