Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: iOS 7  (Read 3959 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
iOS 7
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:27 am »
So, what do you think of iOS 7?

Still getting used to the changes, me.

Looks very colorful and kind of reminds me of Pepperland...  "BLUE MEANIES!!"   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: iOS 7
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:55 am »
Haven't downloaded it yet..maybe today.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:33 am »
My opinion is "meh" more colorful, cleaner fonts and on the 5 appears to move around a little quicker but otherwise I don't get the hype
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline petey

• 1st Kit
  • Lawton, OK
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
Not sure if I like it or not yet...Feels like I'm playing with a toy.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:33 am »
It's nice and I like the improvements.  The new camera software features are nice with new filters and I like the new way the photos are stored and grouped together.   

It's easier to manage multiple running apps at once by double clicking the home button.   

I played around w/ the maps app and it's better, especially w/ the voice command.  However, I still like the Google map app better. 

Safari's navigation between web pages is better and easier to scroll through multiple open pages. 

iTunes radio is cool, similar to Pandora and I Heart Radio, but I actually like it better.

The control center is nice and is accessed by swiping up from the bottom of the screen even if you have an app open.  This makes it easy to make settings changes w/out having to close an app, go to settings, etc...  However, you may want to prevent access to the control panel on the lock screen to prevent thieves from turning off your "Find My Phone" feature.  This can be done in the settings/ control center and turn off "Access on lock screen."

You can have apps update automatically in the background, which is convenient, but probably will drain your battery more since your phone will constantly be checking for app updates. 

The mail app hasn't changed much, mostly layout and navigation changes that I like a little better.

I'm sure there's much more than this, but these are the items that really stood out to me.  I haven't noticed any battery life changes on my iPhone 5, but I suspect that it's a little less than before iOS 7 and mainly due to the auto app updating I mentioned above. 

I'm starting to play around w/ some of my client's new iPhone 5S devices and so far I like some of the hardware changes, especially w/ the camera and the speed of the phone.  Not sure I'll get a 5S since I have the 5 so I'll probably wait for the 6.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:12:10 pm »
I played around w/ the maps app and it's better, especially w/ the voice command.  However, I still like the Google map app better. 

Last Spring my wife and I were in Fairbanks, AK and using the maps app to navigate since the GPS didn't have AK in it.  On the way back to the airport it took us an odd/back route which we abandoned when it said "In 1/4 mile turn left onto runway B".

Yeah next time its Google maps.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »
Here's a list of what updates you get depending on what device you have....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/tech/mobile/ios-7-upgrade-faq/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »

Last Spring my wife and I were in Fairbanks, AK and using the maps app to navigate since the GPS didn't have AK in it.  On the way back to the airport it took us an odd/back route which we abandoned when it said "In 1/4 mile turn left onto runway B".

Yeah next time its Google maps.

That's pretty funny!

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:21:35 am »
That's really funny.  Runways are designated by the compass degree they are aligned with, e.g.  Taking off on a runway due east, you are taking off on runway 9.  Due south, is runway 18... 
Two parallel runways due south, runway 18 left and 18 right.  Never heard of runways with letter designations.

If you want a good Siri laugh check out this youtube video:

Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:38:50 am »

Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

Ha ha ha!  "One Brown Hawaiian Man!"
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 04:14:39 pm »
That's really funny.  Runways are designated by the compass degree they are aligned with, e.g.  Taking off on a runway due east, you are taking off on runway 9.  Due south, is runway 18... 
Two parallel runways due south, runway 18 left and 18 right.  Never heard of runways with letter designations.

Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

Interesting.  I may not have the actual letter right (though I think I do), but I know it wasn't a number.  I guess its just another way it was wrong.  Also it was in a part of the airport where the float planes and small planes are at - don't know if that would make a difference.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
That's why it's funny!

Siri is not serious... 

"Das why hard!"

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 03:33:43 am »

Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

Ha ha ha!  "One Brown Hawaiian Man!"

Cancel da pizza = Mansized diarrhea.
One twelve pack Heineken = Your ball sack all blind again.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:50:11 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:01:50 am »

Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

Interesting.  I may not have the actual letter right (though I think I do), but I know it wasn't a number.  I guess its just another way it was wrong.  Also it was in a part of the airport where the float planes and small planes are at - don't know if that would make a difference.

Seems you're not alone!  http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/?intcmp=features
Jeremy Baker

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:04:56 pm »
I saw that too. I wonder how many people followed the directions