Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post Apocalyptic Brew Pub  (Read 9891 times)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
Post Apocalyptic Brew Pub
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:56:13 pm »
Maybe this should go under "un-pimp" my system...

Most people won't be interested in this, but I think there are probably a few weirdos out there like my friend and me, so I'm posting our new project: the post apocalyptic bar.

I have:
-little to no money
-lots of odds and ends laying around an old house I've sorta inherited
-a total fascination with 3rd-world-type improvised/repurposed furniture, gadgets, etc.
-a geeky interest in post-apocalyptic/dark future sci-fi

So my buddy and I are going to put together a bar, keezer with 3 taps, and semi-entertainment center while following a few easy rules.  We will attempt to build everything out of stuff we already have (raw materials coming from dismantled junk), or can get free or super cheap from the local junk/swap meet.  The only new stuff will be the kegging hardware and wood for the keezer collar.

Now, we'll probably end up having to cheat here and there, but the real fun will come from the improvisation and creativity forced by the lack of new materials.  I've seen some amazing projects pulled off by homebrewers, so I only hope we can be half as creative.

Here's a cool website full of examples of "street use" or improvised stuff: www.kk.org/streetuse/

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Post Apocalyptic Brew Pub
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »
Depending on where you live, check local farms... especially dairy farms.  You can find some decent used stainless steel around dairy farms these days at an affordable price, I just saw a long double wash sink that could be modified and made into one or two open fermenters... bulk milk tanks if you've got the capability to do large batches.  The hardest part about large batches is the energy and size of equipment required for such a large volume.  Good luck with your PABP.   :)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
Thanks for the tips, bro!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »
This sounds like a pretty cool idea.  Guessing you're going to go through with all the work to acquire a brewpub license and whatnot.  Heard there are hefty fees involved in that.  Good luck.
Jesse

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:19:36 pm »
Oh, sorry--misleading name.  This will be a free beer bar (home bar).  Not selling anything.  I should change the name to PA Home bar/brewery.  Not so catchy but more accurate.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:47:23 am »
I've always wanted to build a steampunk brew rig, but the thought of the maintenance makes me cringe.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:57 pm »
I've always wanted to build a steampunk brew rig, but the thought of the maintenance makes me cringe.

Nice.  Yeah that would be both awesome and horrible to maintain.  I've always thought British beer engines were kinda steampunky--something about pumping the handle and delicious beer bubbling through yards of tubing from the cellar into your glass.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »

Nice.  Yeah that would be both awesome and horrible to maintain.  I've always thought British beer engines were kinda steampunky--something about pumping the handle and delicious beer bubbling through yards of tubing from the cellar into your glass.

Maybe if they had more gears. Now that'd be cool -  a beer engine with a big brass gear driven by the lever.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »
Oh snap! I was cruising the swap meet in my town for junk for the bar and what did my wondering eyes behold?  A three faucet all brass draught tower (Perlick) lying on some dude's blanket!  I asked, "How much for this?" and he said, "25...well, 20."  Done.  Holy crap.  I about peed my pants.  I still might. 

It's just missing tap handles and the little bolt thingy that the fits into the tap handle hole and works the inside tap piece back and forth.  Pics to follow!

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:08 pm »
The PA pub is looking less post-apocalyptic at the moment.  My drywalling job looks way too good (that really IS easy) and my father helped me build the bar counter.  With him being a woodshop teacher, it came out beautifully.  So...not that PA except for the complete lack of finish on it.  Also, the brass faucets were so corroded that I've had to buy some new perlick faucets. 

If I'm not careful, this bar's going to turn out looking pretty nice. ;)

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »
quite a few Chicago Bars with decent brew and beer engines draw in the steam punk crowd.  You also get your grubby post hippie hippies and naturally just some people that like beer.

I peeped out your blog and saw "redneck tech"  That better describes my rig.  see also, neolithic braueri or crummy garage with beer brewing gear.

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »
neolithic braueri or crummy garage with beer brewing gear.

Yeah, I like that a lot...haha.  I like functional and super cheap.  As my budget is almost completely blown now (after making sure everything that holds pressure or touches beer is good quality), I will be back to my primitive ways for lighting, decoration, stools, etc.

Do you have pictures of your rig?  I always like see other brew setups.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »
Depending on where you live, check local farms... especially dairy farms.  You can find some decent used stainless steel around dairy farms these days at an affordable price, I just saw a long double wash sink that could be modified and made into one or two open fermenters... bulk milk tanks if you've got the capability to do large batches.  The hardest part about large batches is the energy and size of equipment required for such a large volume.  Good luck with your PABP.   :)

Sam Calagione describes his swap meet tactics in "Brewing Up a Business"... To get fermenters for his production brewery, he went to a dairy farm swap meet with a bunch of samples. He made some farmer friends with the samples, and no one bid on the items he wanted... walked away with a bunch of "new-to-you" fermenters for little to nothing!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:18 pm »
That is an awesome tip.  I'm a swap meet junky, but I'd like to find some industrial salvage/swap meets where large containers, piping, etc is available.  Anybody know of something like that in the LA/OC areas?

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:09:06 am »
no rig yet, i lug keggles around, i use a KAB4 burning on the garage floor or driveway and have my MT on a sawhorse table.