Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ask the Experts: Gordon Strong  (Read 57841 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ask the Experts: Gordon Strong
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:59 am »
Gordon, how many judge experience points have ya got?

would "When 900 XP you have, look as good, you will not!" be a close approximation?   ;D

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »
Hi Gordon,

As a 3-time Ninkasi winner and the highest ranking BJCP judge, what advice do you have for all those homebrewers looking to go pro?  There's a lot of good homebrew out there these days, but I feel as if a lot of homebrewers are trying to jump in the game before mastering the art and science of the craft.  (Note: business experience is a whole other issue, I'm more curious of your take on the brewing/judging side of things.)

Also, why didn't you ever decide to "take the leap"?

Cheers,
-Jeremy

Offline hoodie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:16 pm »
Gordon, Your book has been very helpful to my brewing and is one of my go to reference books. With that being said, is there anything in the book that you would change or clarify based on new information or experience? Thanks again.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:11 pm »
So far this looks like a book advertisement disguised as a forum thread.

You'd be wrong there, Carl.

Right you are Denny.  My bad.  I did not read the entire OP.  Responses will be posted in November.  Lo siento amigo.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 09:37:21 am »
So far this looks like a book advertisement disguised as a forum thread.

You'd be wrong there, Carl.

Right you are Denny.  My bad.  I did not read the entire OP.  Responses will be posted in November.  Lo siento amigo.

Not a problem.  If it appeared like that to you, we need to do a better job of making it clear in the future.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 02:34:51 pm »
I"ll throw in a few:

For an overall BOS round for a moderately sized competition, say 200-400 entries, do you think all gold medal winners from all 23 beer categories should be included in the final BOS round? I've seen many comps just pick the top 10 highest scoring beers or so, and I think that fails to take into account scoring variation.

How important was becoming a highly ranked judge to improving your brewing?

What has been one of your favorite judging experiences/memories (I'm sure you have many to pick from)?

Thank you,
Dennis

Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 03:32:51 pm »
My question is how does a brewer develop great malt aroma in beer? Is it the type of malts used? Is it the brewing process? Is it a water profile? I'm sure the answer is all of the above, but I'm wondering if there is a major factor in overall malt aroma? My lagers tend to have a much better malty flavor than a malty aroma. I use fresh, quality ingredients and have even built my water up from RO, so I'm at a loss.
Dan Chisholm

Offline superx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 08:00:27 am »
It seems that when I brew my favorite recipe, I can have great hop aroma in about 2 weeks of bottle conditioning, but the malt flavors are missing, or I can have a nice roasty malty tasting beer in 4 weeks but the hop aroma is almost non-existent.  How can I get that balanced malty and the nice hop aroma at the same time?  I should note that I bottle condition... would kegging help?

Offline TwoBeagles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »
Hey Gordon,

Pleasure meeting you at the NHC in Philly during the BJCP Tasting Exam, and again at your book signing.  I must say that you were super friendly and approachable, which was a pleasant surprise given your notoriety.

In your book, and you when you talk about your home brewery I cannot help but think that you have a Sabco Brew-Magic setup, is that what you brew on?

BTW, loved your recent "Hop Techniques" podcast on BeerSmith!

Cheers!
Dan
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:10:57 pm by HoochLovesBeer »
AHA Lifetime Member
NHC Gold Medal
BJCP National
The Beer Connoisseur Magazine Beer Reviewer

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline irwinben

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »
Are there plans to update the guidelines for IPAs, category 14?  It seems that the style has rapidly evolved, both with alcohol content (triple IPA) and with balance between hops and malt.  The current description includes "the malt backbone will generally support the strong hop character," which is not necessarily the case in the current best and most popular commercial examples.

I recently entered a well-brewed variant of a highly hopped IPA (PTY) that scored 42 in one competition and 28 in another.  The results varied only based on the judge's interpretation of the style, not on flaws in the beer.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »
Gordon,

What is your general process on the cold side of making a lager?  I have only made 3-4 lagers but none of them have really been up to my standards yet and I am looking for ways to improve.  I have temp control, make large yeast starters, oxygenate my wort alot, etc... I tend to have alot of issues with acetaldehyde the most...  I have tried leaving the beer in primary for many weeks to allow the yeast to clean it up they just don't seem to...

Thanks.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 04:36:08 am »
Hi Gordon,

For a spiced ale; is it best to add the spices (tea or tincture or...) to the secondary or are some OK for the boil? I worry about astringency when tossing cinnamon sticks in the kettle. Boiling wood doesn't sound like a good idea to me. What is your take?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Phil
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 07:00:56 am »
Gordon,

When building your water profiles do you fine adding magnesium to be a desirable flavor ion for any styles?
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
Hi Gordon,

Do you feel that competitive brewers and the BJCP have become too exclusive? Do you think more casual brewers have an equal playing field, particularly at the national level? Is there any thinking about restructuring competitions to address the "submit as many beers to as many competitions as possible" game?

Any recommendations on the testing process for BJCP judging? What's do you think is the best place to start?

Thanks, Matt

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline tsusko

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »
Hi Gordon,

Listened to an interview with you on Beersmith.  Enjoyed it very much!  I had a couple of questions:

* You mentioned that you have a false bottom in your kettle.  Do you prefer whole hops or does your false bottom filter pellet hops as well?

* As a big fan of FWH do you have a preferred variety?

* I had read some tips that you gave in Zymurgy.  You said that one of the ways you can brighten up a finished beer is to add some phosphoric acid to it.  Do you have a target pH range for hoppy beers?  Do you think lower pH helps with flavor and aroma?  How low is too low?

Sorry for all the questions!

Best,
Thom