Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High school brewing class  (Read 3988 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
High school brewing class
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:36:22 am »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/30/high-school-beer-brewing-class-draws-controversy/

Lets have our own survey.

Should high school biology students learn how to make beer?

I say No! I don't need the competition

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: High school brewing class
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
That's a tough one. I can see the scientific learning value, but at that age I would have been brewing beer in abandoned barns near home and then drinking it.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:03:34 am »
At that age I learned a lot of things not officially taught at school.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:41:43 am »
There is more than one type of alcohol. Why don't they make methanol instead. If I remember right it is roughly the same process. Just the end result is not drinkable.
If kids are going to make alcohol to drink, there are tons of online examples for them to follow. I don't think a class is going to make any difference.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

It also seems like an opportunity to educate on the effects and such. I don't think it should be taught in a way that the school is complicit in a crime. IE minor in possession

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
If they're teaching fermentation, why don't they just bake bread instead? I will teach my son how to brew beer myself, thank you very much. And it will likely have more hops in a 3 gallon batch than Coors uses in a full batch ;)

But seriously, let parents teach their own kids about alcohol.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:01 pm »
If they're teaching fermentation, why don't they just bake bread instead? I will teach my son how to brew beer myself, thank you very much. And it will likely have more hops in a 3 gallon batch than Coors uses in a full batch ;)

I always felt this same way about sex education. That should strictly be the responsibility of the parents.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 07:13:38 pm »
I think this is ridiculous just based on how ignorant the mother sounds. You really think that visiting Coors will show you everything to make beer (especially a 16 year old with no prior knowledge of the subject)? Really? That's like saying that if I visit a textile mill I will start making my own clothes. There are clearly other steps here outside of the initial visit.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:11:38 pm »
I saw the story on Fox and it looked to me like the kids were given homework to brew a batch at home. Though all they showed was about an 8 quart pot on the stove. I didn't see a conical or stir plate or slants or Bru'n Water running on a laptop, so it couldn't be very good beer.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:07:19 am »
In my high school general science class we had a section on wine making (Rural, Catholic high school, what can I say).  We discussed the processes and the reactions and even were allowed to taste the results. 

Here's my take on what we learned.  If wine is made out of Welch's grape juice and fermented in warm cabinet is what wine tastes like we would stick the beer we were already consuming in large quantities on the weekend.  Sometimes the best way to keep kids away from something is to make them taste a really awful example of it.

Issues like this are best taught by parents.  An awfully large swath of American parents should not be allowed to teach their kids anything.  Sadly, I have no idea how to fix that but a (hopefully) respected authority figure introducing the brewing process is probably a better example of restraint than most kids will get at home.  Removing the mystery removes the appeal.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:02:54 am »
I think the drinking age should be 16 and the driving age 21!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:30:57 am »

The problem with this statement is that quite a lot of parents fail at teaching their kids about the responisbilities required about alcohol and quite a few other things as it is.  At least education at an early age should allow some sort of appreciation on the matter.  Most parents dont even acknowledge alcohol until 18+ as something that needs to be taught, where most kids are exposed to it as early at 10-12.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:03:49 am »
I think the drinking age should be 16 and the driving age 21!
In Germany the kids could drink beer at the bar at 16, and take drivers training at 18. Worked for them.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:20:14 am »

The problem with this statement is that quite a lot of parents fail at teaching their kids about the responisbilities required about alcohol and quite a few other things as it is.  At least education at an early age should allow some sort of appreciation on the matter.  Most parents dont even acknowledge alcohol until 18+ as something that needs to be taught, where most kids are exposed to it as early at 10-12.

I have to reluctantly agree with you here. I've spent way too many years working with the public, and it's pretty clear to me that there are a whole lot of lousy parents out there. I guess my concern as a parent is just that I don't want my kid's schools teaching him values that contradict my own. As long as they keep it to facts and science, and don't give bad information then I'm OK with it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:52 am »
My sister in law attended a private Christian high school and the teacher brewed beer in class as part of some biology lesson. I was surprised that didn't cause an outrage among parents. However, I don't think the kids were given homework to make beer at home.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing