Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First "big" beer  (Read 6139 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: First "big" beer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:57 am »
14 lbs of marris otter
1 lb biscut
1 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of chocolate malt
1 lb of special b
1/4 lb of black patent
1/4 lb of roasted barley
using Belgium abbey 2

Not  good yeast choice for an RIS.  it will make it taste like a Belgian beer, not RIS.  You've also got quite a bit of crystal in there.  Personally, I don't see how you're gonna hit close to 10% with that grist.

Agreed on all fronts, Denny. I know this is an equipment/efficiency question, but that recipe will not make a RIS.  Even if you did get your normal max efficiency, 18.5lbs of base grain will only yield an OG of 1.088 (I don't feel like accounting for the lower potential of roasted malts right now) - which isn't a 10% beer until you get down to around 1.010 FG, all of which is unlikely with the amount of crystal malts in your friend's recipe.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
which isn't a 10% beer until you get down to around 1.010 FG, all of which is unlikely with the amount of crystal malts in your friend's recipe.

Not to mention that an FG that low isn't desirable in a beer like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 11:43:54 am »
which isn't a 10% beer until you get down to around 1.010 FG, all of which is unlikely with the amount of crystal malts in your friend's recipe.

Not to mention that an FG that low isn't desirable in a beer like that.

Well, yes. But I didn't want to ramble.  ;)

OP - we are just trying to help you (and your friend) make the best beer possible. I hope that our posts can aid in that.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:59 am »
14 lbs of marris otter
1 lb biscut
1 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of chocolate malt
1 lb of special b
1/4 lb of black patent
1/4 lb of roasted barley
using Belgium abbey 2

Not  good yeast choice for an RIS.  it will make it taste like a Belgian beer, not RIS.  You've also got quite a bit of crystal in there.  Personally, I don't see how you're gonna hit close to 10% with that grist.

Out of curiousity, is 5.4% crystal malt really too much for this?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »
Well, yes. But I didn't want to ramble.  ;)

That's why I'm here!  ;)

OP - we are just trying to help you (and your friend) make the best beer possible. I hope that our posts can aid in that.

Absolutely!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:16 pm »
Out of curiousity, is 5.4% crystal malt really too much for this?

Maybe not, but it's something to think about in a high OG beer with no sugar.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:26:36 pm »
I do appreciate the feedback. It's likely that dme will be in the picture. Will likely be mashing low and long and possible sparging with some of the wort from the initial runoff. Am interested to learn more about the effect of crystal to fermentation. Why would a pound in a 18.5 lb of grist make a dif.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »
Am interested to learn more about the effect of crystal to fermentation. Why would a pound in a 18.5 lb of grist make a dif.

A pound of crystal, no, but a pound of crystal, a pound of chocolate, a pound of Special B and a half pound of highly roasted malts will begin to limit the amount of attenuation you can get.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:13 pm »
Am interested to learn more about the effect of crystal to fermentation. Why would a pound in a 18.5 lb of grist make a dif.

A pound of crystal, no, but a pound of crystal, a pound of chocolate, a pound of Special B and a half pound of highly roasted malts will begin to limit the amount of attenuation you can get.

Don't forget the biscuit!  Like Amanda said, none of the specialty malts will attenuate like the base malt.  An RIS should be thick and chewy IMHO with a bunch of roast character and fairly high bitterness to offset the sweetness from a (usually) high FG.  As was said as well, a Belgian yeast strain will not give you the character you desire, I don't think.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 01:36:45 pm »
Makes sense with all of the speciality malts. Like I said just the assistant on this one, it's a frankebrew for sure. Won't really resemble a RIS.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »
I know it's not part of your question but don't forget aeration and a big pitch of yeast.  These are especially critical for a big beer IMO.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 08:33:51 am »
Every comment here is really useful advice for you and your friend. You can mash and sparge with all the technique in the world but that recipe is not going to produce a quality imperial stout. Your friend should start over on the recipe for all the reasons given above.

One thing mentioned that I haven't seen anybody address is the idea of sparging with your runnings. That is not a good idea. The objective of sparging is to divorce the sugars from the grain. By putting the wort back in the mash tun you are doing the opposite of what you want to happen.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
If you decide to stick with that recipe, you are definitely going to want to mash low and long to break down as many of those sugars as possible. If you cut back a bit on the Biscuit and C60 a bit, and add some sugar you'll render a more fermentable wort (higher starting OG), hence a higher finishing ABV.

Also depends on what your hoping for in the finished beer. Do you want a very thick chewy stout OR a more drinkable version at 10% ABV?
Ron Price

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:30 am »
re. mashing process.  I don't see a real advantage of mashing in the kettle.  While I do this myself in a small 8 gallon pot with a false bottom, it requires an extra level of temperature monitoring and stirring.  Why not do a simple batch sparge in the insulated cooler?  I assume it is big enough to handle the grain bill. 
I agree with everyone else regarding the addition of sugar - at least a pound near the end of the boil would help.  And which chocolate variety?  Pale or dark?  That will have a significant flavor impact as well.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 08:19:58 am »
We managed to get 1.112 without additions. We mashed half of the grains the night before and used the wort from that to mash the second batch, sparged with h20  and boiled. Will see what the result is, if the beer is no good then it was more then worth it for the learning experience.
Charles Bukowski