Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First "big" beer  (Read 6141 times)

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
First "big" beer
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:29 am »
Brewing sat with a friend and it's my first attempt at a 10% abv beer. Have about 18.5 lbs of grain. I've read a lot of different methods on how to mash and sparge a beer of this size. Looking for some pointers before sat to help hit the desired OG. Thanks
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: First "big" beer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:44 am »
Can you explain your equipment?  If we know what your gear is like we can give you better advice.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:13 am »
Plan for a lower than expected pre-boil gravity and keep some DME on hand.

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:09 am »
MY mash tun is a chest cooler, my buddy has a pot with a screen but he's reluctant to use it to mash in. (afarid of scorching the grains). Typically fly sparge. My efficiency with my cooler tends to be around 72-75. Have lots of big pots and burners. Not sure what set up we will use. It's his brew really I may try to talk him into mashing in his pot but unsure if he will want to.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
What style of beer are you brewing? It may be helpful to mash low and add a small % of basic table sugar to ensure your FG isn't too high. Plan for 5-10% lower efficiency if not more...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:57 am »
A Russian imperial stout, I told him to have some DME on hand, he wants it to be an imperial pumpkin for next fall, i suggested molasses as another possibility.
Charles Bukowski

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:34:09 am »
Don't use very much molasses.  A little goes a long way.  The flavor is very strong, even in dark beers.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
A Russian imperial stout, I told him to have some DME on hand, he wants it to be an imperial pumpkin for next fall, i suggested molasses as another possibility.

What yeast strain are you using? Can you post your recipe detail?
Ron Price

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:52 am »
14 lbs of marris otter
1 lb biscut
1 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of chocolate malt
1 lb of special b
1/4 lb of black patent
1/4 lb of roasted barley
using Belgium abbey 2

Charles Bukowski

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:09 am »
14 lbs of marris otter
1 lb biscut
1 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of chocolate malt
1 lb of special b
1/4 lb of black patent
1/4 lb of roasted barley
using Belgium abbey 2

Not  good yeast choice for an RIS.  it will make it taste like a Belgian beer, not RIS.  You've also got quite a bit of crystal in there.  Personally, I don't see how you're gonna hit close to 10% with that grist.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

cornershot

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:46 am »
With lots of big pots and burners on hand, consider a small stout with the second runnings.

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:55:08 am »
I agree with the yeast not being the best choice, i'm just the assistant brewer on this one. I'm looking more for suggestions regarding mash and sparge methods to maximize extraction, should we mash half the grains, sparge and then mash the second half with the wort collected from the first? Like I said have not done a big one before and have seen multiple methods regarding the best method.
Charles Bukowski

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
Should have mentioned this is a 5.5 gal batch.
Charles Bukowski

cornershot

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:20 am »
Obviously you're aware of all the different methods. All have pros and cons. Personally I'd batch sparge and s
Use the high quality first runnings only for the big beer and the lesser quality runnings for a small beer. Tell your friend not to be scared of scorching the pot. It's OK to direct heat the mash.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:44 am »
I agree with the yeast not being the best choice, i'm just the assistant brewer on this one. I'm looking more for suggestions regarding mash and sparge methods to maximize extraction, should we mash half the grains, sparge and then mash the second half with the wort collected from the first? Like I said have not done a big one before and have seen multiple methods regarding the best method.

you can but I think you're over thinking. 10% ABV is not that hard to hit. if you are used to getting around 72% plan for 65%. as others have said mash low and long (148 for 120 minutes would not be out of bounds) add some simple sugar to help it attenuate better.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce