Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ageing different styles of beer.  (Read 3405 times)

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
Ageing different styles of beer.
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »
I don't age any beer on purpose, but some times a bottle gets lost in the back of my fridge.

I was very pleased with how the flavor on my chocolate porter aged after three months. However anytime I open an IPA that is three months old I am not really happy with how it tastes.

Is there any reason why some beers age better than others?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Ageing different styles of beer.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:23:38 pm »
General rules of thumb regarding aging of beers.

High ABV ages better than Low - this is generally due to the "hot" alcohol flavors reducing with time, along with the sherry-type oxidation reactions generally being more pleasant in higher alcohol beers.

Dark ages better than Light - I have heard that the polyphenols in darker beers help slow down oxidation reactions.

Don't age hoppy beers - The hop flavor and aroma is the first thing to go in a beer, which is why IPAs are not aged, and many of the barleywines meant for aging (Bigfoot) are often heavily hopped when fresh.

That is all I know about aging, but it has served me well.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:19:53 pm »

High ABV ages better than Low - this is generally due to the "hot" alcohol flavors reducing with time, along with the sherry-type oxidation reactions generally being more pleasant in higher alcohol beers.

Dark ages better than Light - I have heard that the polyphenols in darker beers help slow down oxidation reactions.

Don't age hoppy beers - The hop flavor and aroma is the first thing to go in a beer, which is why IPAs are not aged, and many of the barleywines meant for aging (Bigfoot) are often heavily hopped when fresh.

Pretty good summation:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:44:55 pm »
+1 to the above. One thing to add regarding IPAs. I find that beers with big FWH or hop stand additions tend to hold on to their hop character longer than those without. Their still at their best when they're fresh, though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »

Right on the money. Don't deliberately age an AIPA/IIPA on purpose as hop aroma and flavor desireable in the style will begin to dissipate fairly quickly. I hop stand then dry hop these styles heavily, accounting for the fact that what is left at the end of the keg will still be nicely hoppy, assuming that it gets drunk quickly ( and my hop crazy friends ensure that).  +1 to highly FWH'd and hop standed beers aging well, as well as highly dry hopped beers.
Jon H.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:58 am »
You started a good habit. I think its beneficial to keep a few bottles of every brew back (if you can). You can experience 1st hand what age does to different types of beer and gauge your bottling technique/cleanliness.

FWIW I don't buy the FWH thing... hop flavor/aroma fade. Doesn't matter when they're added.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »
Good advice from you all. Thank you.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »
Right on the money. Don't deliberately age an AIPA/IIPA on purpose ...

LOL.  I routinely bulk age my IPA for 8-12 months.
The commercial example I was weaned on many years ago got a full year of aging in wood before being bottled.  And it still  had more clean hop character than any IPA made today ;D

IPA was of course traditionally an aged beer.
Some current day commercial examples are quite good when consumed young, while others are vastly improved with some age.   As is the case with many aspects of brewing, there are simply no hard/fast rules.
Except for one: "Drink it how you like it"!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »
Agreed on the historical aging of it. I prefer the early intensity of the hop aroma in the first month, but I've had older ones that were plenty good. It's a great style regardless, and the selection of premium ingredients today makes it even better !
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:11 pm »

The commercial example I was weaned on many years ago got a full year of aging in wood before being bottled.  And it still  had more clean hop character than any IPA made today ;D

Some current day commercial examples are quite good when consumed young, while others are vastly improved with some age.   As is the case with many aspects of brewing, there are simply no hard/fast rules.

I'm curious which IPAs you think improve after aging. I'm not much of an IPA drinker but I'd be interested in trying to figure out what attributes lend themselves to aging.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:22 pm »

I'm curious which IPAs you think improve after aging. I'm not much of an IPA drinker but I'd be interested in trying to figure out what attributes lend themselves to aging.

I had a few PTE clones that were great at year 4.  Bottled in 7 oz bottles that were "buried" in a fridge for the whole time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:53:47 am »
PTE very plainly says not to age it, right on the bottle. Commercial examples  generally have a 6 month shelf life at most anymore. Tastes vary greatly, as does style interpretations, you can't argue with opinions. However,  if you want big hop aroma and flavor, you need to enjoy them fresh- that is a fact.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:41:24 am »

My experience is historic British IPAs brewed with a lot of low alpha hops, tannins and vegetal when young, with age they drop brite and are wonderful. Try some from Shut up About Barklay Perkins, or IPA from Steele. Also brew a Sister Star of the Sun IPA, that one gets better with time.

You can always dry hop after aging if you want some fresh hop aroma.

I am sure The professed was talking about Ballantine IPA, I did a clone based on a Jeff Renner recipe off the HBD, it needed time, and was very good. Another guy in the club got that recipe from me, and won the IPA category in the clubs competition, beating all of those contemporary recipes.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 04:46:53 am »
PTE very plainly says not to age it, right on the bottle. Commercial examples  generally have a 6 month shelf life at most anymore. Tastes vary greatly, as does style interpretations, you can't argue with opinions. However,  if you want big hop aroma and flavor, you need to enjoy them fresh- that is a fact.

I know what Vinnie says, but I also know what I experienced.  The beer was much more mellow, but surprisingly, it held up well...just sayin'.   ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"