Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How low can I go?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
How low can I go?
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:23 pm »
So I am thinking about brewing a very low alcohol IPA.  I still want all the beer flavor, just really low ABV.

So how do I balance this out?  How low have you brewed an IPA, and were you happy with it?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: How low can I go?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:21:48 pm »
I brewed one (okay, a few) of those session IPA things. I would say my favorite was an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.013, mashed at 157F, US-05. Otherwise, it's just too thin and lifeless.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »
I brewed one (okay, a few) of those session IPA things. I would say my favorite was an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.013, mashed at 157F, US-05. Otherwise, it's just too thin and lifeless.
+1.  I think the lowest one I was happy with was ~ 1.044 OG .  But that was mashed @ 158 or 159F.  Much below that and I felt it was diminishing returns, in terms of being too watery.
Jon H.

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:18:26 pm »
I know some people substitute the us pale/2-row that they would normally use in an IPA with a British Pale Malt in addition to the higher mash temp to add more body in low ABV IPAs. My lowest is probably about 1.045 OG, but there is a brewery in my neighborhood that has a couple in the 4.0 range that are pretty good.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »
I brewed a 1.038 bruiser with 12 oz of hops in 5 gallons. it was very very hoppy. I mashed at 162 and it just barely made it past totally unbalanced and into the realm of drinkable. I can post the recipe when I get home I think. not sure if I still have it but I'll look. I think if I was going to do it again I'd load it up with some more crystal malt and see if I could build a little more body.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:28:05 pm »
I just bottled up a English Bitter with an OG of 1.042 and FG 1.015 hopped with EKG and mashed at 155. I haven't opened a bottle yet as they're not quite ready but the bottling sample tasted really nice with a good balance of malt and bitterness. Looking forward to popping one pen this weekend!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »
I read an article or two after Founders released their All-Day IPA, the session IPA.  It took them forever to get the recipe right and they almost threw in the towel. I've made many 1.038 - 1.040 milds and ordinary bitters, but it's definitely a different animal to build enough body to support IPA-like hopping. Tricky.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 09:57:51 am »
So I am thinking about brewing a very low alcohol IPA.  I still want all the beer flavor, just really low ABV.

So how do I balance this out?  How low have you brewed an IPA, and were you happy with it?

I'm sorry, but I gotta say it...very low alcohol is NOT an IPA.  Brew what you like, but name it accurately so we can all understand what you're talking about. 

OK, now you can all tear into me....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:14 am »
I agree Denny, but not just for your reason. If you hand someone something called X but it tastes like Z, they are going to be surprised. Replace someone's milk with oj and watch the reaction.
Its not so much guarding the guidelines as it is preparing the mind for what the mouth is getting.
But you are right too, hard to give advice on Z when its actually X and just calling it Z.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:36:14 am »
I agree Denny, but not just for your reason. If you hand someone something called X but it tastes like Z, they are going to be surprised. Replace someone's milk with oj and watch the reaction.
Its not so much guarding the guidelines as it is preparing the mind for what the mouth is getting.
But you are right too, hard to give advice on Z when its actually X and just calling it Z.

And one could argue that just as milk can be whole, 2% or skim for example. Ipa can be double, session or black. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:38 pm »
Yes and no. In this thread we're making skim milk but wanting all of the flavor of whole milk. Without some serious chemistry that's not going to happen. Call it what you will, I don't see how anyone could make a reduced abv IPA with all the big beer flavor. Hence Session IPA, or Hoppy Hybrid, or whatever nomenclature.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:00:41 pm »

And one could argue that just as milk can be whole, 2% or skim for example. Ipa can be double, session or black.

But those still fall within the definition of mile.  IPA is defined as having an ABV from 5 (English) to 7.5 (American).  As always, I say make what you like to drink.  But for the sake of clarity, don't call it something that it's not.

To the original question.....I'd use a heavy dose of crystal and mash high, kinda like you were making mild.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:25 pm »
Agreed. But I stand by my point that it won't still have all the flavors of an IPA. Example, the only way to make a low calorie snickers bar that tastes exactly like a snickers bar is to cut a snickers bar in half. If you cut out half of the sugar it won't taste like the original regardless of what you call it.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »

But those still fall within the definition of mile.  IPA is defined as having an ABV from 5 (English) to 7.5 (American).  As always, I say make what you like to drink.  But for the sake of clarity, don't call it something that it's not.

To the original question.....I'd use a heavy dose of crystal and mash high, kinda like you were making mild.

Somewhere in England on old curmudgeon is explaining the same thing to a kid who wants to make an American IPA.  ;)   

I find it entirely clear what to expect when I order a session ipa, double ipa or black ipa. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »
How about unsweetened ice tea boiled with hops? ;)