Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NB Big Bubbler  (Read 7993 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
NB Big Bubbler
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
Any thoughts in NorthernBrewer's new fermenter? Glass with wide mouth screw on lid. Two sizes 5 & 6.5g.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big-mouth-bubbler-6-5-gallon.html

I have been wanting a new bigger fermenter. Every since I moved to BIAB I have been doing 6g batches and I want more headroom than my 6g fermenter provides.

Edit: originally I thought it was HDPE. Apparently it is glass with HDPE lid.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:36:37 pm by alestateyall »

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: NB Big Bubbler
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:36:15 pm »
I think that is a great idea. Certainly makes dry hopping and cleaning much easier. Adding fruit, too.
I believe they are glass, though, not HDPE
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:24 pm »
Yes. Glass. I corrected above.

Supposedly with the wide mouth you can harvest yeast easily also.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »
That is a great idea!  Don't think I could fit two in my fermentation chamber as with 6.5 carboys.  Boo hoo!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »
The 6.5g big bubbler is 12.375" diameter and 17.625" tall.

A 6.5g smooth neck carboy (morebeer) is 12.75" diameter and 20.75" tall.

Numbers come from respective websites.

With those dimensions it will fit in my deep freeze and will fit in a brew hauler carboy carrier.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:59:04 am »
Looks pretty awesome to me, but I've got all of the carboys I need.  I'd love to know what people think of them though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:24 am »
I'm assuming the lid has a hole for the airlock (with a grommet)?  Even so... you'd have to modify for a BBBOT, drilling out a bigger hole.
Konrad

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:44:09 am »

I'm assuming the lid has a hole for the airlock (with a grommet)?  Even so... you'd have to modify for a BBBOT, drilling out a bigger hole.

The lid has hole for normal stopper and airlock.

What is BBBOT?

Offline bmeulebroeck

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:46:19 am »

The lid has a smaller opening on the top that has a screw cap to keep it sealed, or you can remove that and it will take a 5.5 drilled stopper (maybe a 5....but don't have one of those handy to check; a 5.5 is included) and a standard airlock. Alternatively - it comes with an 'airlock cap' (not sure how else to describe it) that threads on to the small opening. Then you put some liquid in the tray on the lid and that becomes your airlock.

The small opening also can be hooked up to a blowoff - but not sure how secure the hose stays. We're going to try it out this weekend.

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:59 am »
Guessing BBBOT = Big Bubbler Blow Off Tube
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:58 am »
Glass is a non starter for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:00:32 am »
+1 for glass being a non starter for me.  I have a couple of these and really like them: http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html.

Large enough so I've never needed a blow off tube, easy to clean, has a port to easily rack and the integrated handles are sturdy and great for moving around 5 gallons of wort. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:48:41 am »
+1 for glass being a non starter for me.  I have a couple of these and really like them: http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html.

Large enough so I've never needed a blow off tube, easy to clean, has a port to easily rack and the integrated handles are sturdy and great for moving around 5 gallons of wort.

Looking forward to buying one or two of these as an early Christmas gift to me, really like the design and practicality.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »
The lid has hole for normal stopper and airlock.
Yay! The lid has threads so it won't slip like a stopper - and then we drilled the lid for a stopper. Fail.

They should have drilled it for the little black gaskets they put in bucket lids.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »

The spiedels are another great option. I wish they were transparent. I have always had a glass fermenter and would miss seeing the fermentation. I watch it like a cat watches a mouse.  Can't tear my eyes away.

Very minor point: I also don't like that the airlock is non standard. You have to use more expensive airlock from morebeer.