Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Therminator Drainage  (Read 1593 times)

Offline parrothead

• 1st Kit
Therminator Drainage
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:15:43 am »
I just used my therminator for the first time and wonder how long it takes for the thing to drain.  I followed all the directions to clean it out after use.  I immersed it in star san and then let drain on its side, however when you shake it you can still here some star san stuck in there.  It will be two weeks as of Saturday.

Do any of you bake it to dry it out?  If so, at what temp and for how long?  I just would prefer to not have liquid star san sitting in there for long periods based on its acidity.

Thanks!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Therminator Drainage
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:31:00 am »
You could try blowing it out with compressed air. I have 2 plate chillers that I clean with caustic then simply flush with water, nothing more. Before every brew session I recirc boiling water through them for 20 minutes to sanitize. That's really all you need. I would not trust santizer in a plate chiller. Only heat will take care of the nooks and crannies that hide all the potential contaminants.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:22 am »
You could try blowing it out with compressed air. I have 2 plate chillers that I clean with caustic then simply flush with water, nothing more. Before every brew session I recirc boiling water through them for 20 minutes to sanitize. That's really all you need. I would not trust santizer in a plate chiller. Only heat will take care of the nooks and crannies that hide all the potential contaminants.

+1
This, and at the very beginning of your "sanitizing recirculation" let the first runnings (the crap that  was stuck in your therminator and the rest of your gear) dump into a waste bucket until you see fresh wort. Then return the flow to the boil kettle to complete the circuit.  This way you'll flush the bulk of any nasties from your wort and the sanitizing recirculation will kill the rest. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
Forced air works great, my set up is gravity based and I use forced air to purge all liquids where they need to be purged.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010