Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grapefruit IPA recipe?  (Read 38046 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Grapefruit IPA recipe?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:26 pm »
maybe its just my senses, but i think the citra hop is all grapefruit. i recently used it in a belgium wit and at the end of a pale ale. its distinctly grapefruit to me. in fact i just had a bottle of thirsty dog's citra dog IPA...whooee is it grapefruit city.

I wish I got grapefruit from Citra.  Maybe then I'd like it.

i'm with you Denny - I get almost all passionfruit tropicall-iness and some fake tangerine like notes from it.  I read worthog's comments and thought how funny it is our different perceptions of ingredients can be.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:33 pm »

maybe its just my senses, but i think the citra hop is all grapefruit. i recently used it in a belgium wit and at the end of a pale ale. its distinctly grapefruit to me. in fact i just had a bottle of thirsty dog's citra dog IPA...whooee is it grapefruit city.

I wish I got grapefruit from Citra.  Maybe then I'd like it.

i'm with you Denny - I get almost all passionfruit tropicall-iness and some fake tangerine like notes from it.  I read worthog's comments and thought how funny it is our different perceptions of ingredients can be.
Well that's for sure.....I've also got a high perception of diacetyl also, while some can't detect it.....another reason this hobby is so fun :)

Well that's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:58 pm »
I get strong orange and tropical aromas from Citra more than anything.  There is definitely some variance in how people perceive hops (or any aromas, really). I love Simcoe hops but my wife wants to gag when she smells it. She perceives the cattiness as a lot more strong than I do.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
I get strong orange and tropical aromas from Citra more than anything.  There is definitely some variance in how people perceive hops (or any aromas, really). I love Simcoe hops but my wife wants to gag when she smells it. She perceives the cattiness as a lot more strong than I do.

I get straight-up mango from Citra. I like it a lot, but I almost always pair it with a more citrus/grapefruity hop otherwise it's a bit monotone tropical fruit to me.

I agree with the perception comment. I've never gotten "catty" from a hop before. While it could be that I'm just not sensitive to that component, I'm not too sure since I do pick that up in the nose from the litter box :)  I do pick up a distinct black currant aroma from certain hops, and I think that's where the perception part comes in. I have a black currant bush, and I am quite familiar with their distinct aroma. If I wasn't, I could certainly see where the "Cat pee" descriptor may be the closest thing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »
I have to agree with Worthog.  Thirsty Dog's Citra Dog was like biting into a fresh grapefruit.  While I like most of the Great Lake's offerings, their Commodore Perry was like biting into a rotten grapefruit, at least for me.  I haven't had one of those since the Perry went into their full time lineup.  And I wasn't the only one to think that.  Several of the guys I worked with at the time felt the same way.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:01 pm »
I have to agree with Worthog.  Thirsty Dog's Citra Dog was like biting into a fresh grapefruit.  While I like most of the Great Lake's offerings, their Commodore Perry was like biting into a rotten grapefruit, at least for me.  I haven't had one of those since the Perry went into their full time lineup.  And I wasn't the only one to think that.  Several of the guys I worked with at the time felt the same way.

I've yet to try this thirsty dog brew, but Commodore Perry is one of the go to easily accessible IPAs.
I believe it's hopped with Simcoe, Willamette, and Cascade. I won't say it's my favorite IPA, but it's certainly a staple in my beer fridge.
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:55 am »
For a successive number of batches the bittering hop was columbus and the flavor and aroma was cascade. Forty ish bu's

Tasted exactly like ruby red grapefruit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 08:24:35 am »
I say it again since no one listened to me. Fresh grapefruit - probably in secondary. Not sure, but if you have ever had Citrus Ninja - http://westbrookbrewing.com/beers/all/collaborations/citrus-ninja-exchange/ - you will see how well hops and grapefruit pair. You may try contacting the brewery and see if they add the grapefruit to secondary or what.

It is a very good beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:53 am »
I say it again since no one listened to me. Fresh grapefruit - probably in secondary. Not sure, but if you have ever had Citrus Ninja - http://westbrookbrewing.com/beers/all/collaborations/citrus-ninja-exchange/ - you will see how well hops and grapefruit pair. You may try contacting the brewery and see if they add the grapefruit to secondary or what.

It is a very good beer.
Shorts had grapefruit in their Hopstache IPA. It worked for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 08:57:13 am »

It is a very good beer.

It says "brewed" so I take that to mean in the kettle?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 09:50:02 am »

It is a very good beer.

I doubt it. Tastes very fresh to me. Has to be post fermentation. Least that's how I'd do it. And leave out the Citra for sure! ;)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »

It is a very good beer.

I doubt it. Tastes very fresh to me. Has to be post fermentation. Least that's how I'd do it. And leave out the Citra for sure! ;)

My goodness... Citra haters!
My

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:00 pm »
I don't really hate citra just think it is more mango than grapefruit. That doesn't men my taste aligns with everyone's but on a commercial level if I brewed a beer with citra I do believe a majority of people would get mango, not grapefruit.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Grapefruit IPA recipe?
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
I don't really hate citra just think it is more mango than grapefruit. That doesn't men my taste aligns with everyone's but on a commercial level if I brewed a beer with citra I do believe a majority of people would get mango, not grapefruit.

I hear ya. I like keeping an open mind, so I just poured another glass of my pale ale with citra, and I certainly smell mango, tangerine, passion fruit. It's just the bitterness that pushes the grapefruit in the end as I swallow the beer.

Side note- I asked 6 friends what fruit they taste in my pale ale, and 5 of them said grapefruit....1 said tangerine.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:19:46 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »
Recent conversation

Hey Jim, how much grapefruit did you put in that IPA you gave me?

None, that flavor comes from the hops.

Oh, wow, they must not use any hops in Coors light.

No, no they don't.