Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grapefruit IPA recipe?  (Read 37834 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Grapefruit IPA recipe?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »
I figured I'd dig this up since I just had a Stone Grapefruit Slam IPA. This beer is very good. According to their site, they use the peel.

I just had it today for the first time. Excellent beer! Also weighs in at 8% if my info is correct. Had me thinking of how the peels need to be dried...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 07:21:06 am »
I figured I'd dig this up since I just had a Stone Grapefruit Slam IPA. This beer is very good. According to their site, they use the peel.

I just had it today for the first time. Excellent beer! Also weighs in at 8% if my info is correct. Had me thinking of how the peels need to be dried...

The recipe I have says to preheat the oven to 250F.  Place the pieces of grapefruit peel directly on a baking sheet and bake on the lower rack until they are dry, 15 to 20 minutes, or until the peel begins to turn brown.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 04:03:27 pm »
Ahhh. Thanks!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:04 am »
I am about to make a grapefruit IPA this weekend to bring to my dad in June. I am stuck on a recipe. This is what I have come up with but not sure about it. Anyone care to give me some advice?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.059
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 7.24%
IBU (tinseth): 83.37
SRM (morey): 7.87

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (80%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (13.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Victory (3.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.92
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 52.81
0.5 oz - Comet, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.61
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.04
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Comet, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Comet, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 09:04:07 am »
So you are just going for a grapefruit flavor from the hops not actual grapefruit? Maybe use some centennial as well or to replace the cascade?

I would ad an oz of grapefruit zest at the end of the boil or at the same time as the dry hops.

I am curious about the comet hops. Have you used them before? I have an oz on recommendation from the dude at the brew store but all the descriptions have me a little leary. Beersmith say to 'use them sparingly with other hops'...haha.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:21 am »
Yeah I was thinking mostly from the hops although I could add a bit of zest at the end of the boil.

I have not used Comet hops before but heard they had an intense grapefruit flavor. I may try them in the boil and leave them out of the dry hop. About the centennial, would you full on replace the cascade or use centennial along with the cascade? One reason i am using a lot of cascade is because I have it on hand but wouldn't mind trying out centennial. I haven't used that before. What does it bring to the table?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
I do like your recipe.

I normally don't use Centennial and Cascade in the same beer mainly because Centennial is described as 'super Cascade' a lot of the time; grapefruit, citrus, floral, spicy. I feel like there is no reason to have both although there is definitely nothing wrong with it. I bet many would disagree with me?

If you have a lot of Cascade, I would say just go with your original plan. If you want to try Centennial, I say replace the Cascade with it but that is just me...

I am in Lakewood as well. Did you get the comet hops from Barley Haven by chance? They must be pushing that hop because they recommended it to me for a pineapple with that I was dry hopping. I went with citra instead but still bought an oz out of curiousity...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:39:28 am by goschman »

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
I haven't picked up the ingredients yet. I don't get much at Barley Haven, only last minute items since they aren't that friendly and there prices seem high, at least to me. I normally get my supplies at Quirky Homebrew up in Northglenn when the club meets there.

As for the recipe I think I am taking out the Comet hops and adding centennial in their place. I am going to stick with the cascade just because I have it. Hope it turns out well.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
Enjoy! Should be good.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »
Just feel the need to say in my defense   -   I have never and would never use grapefruit in my IPA !!!    ;D ;D

But you can easily manipulate some PNW hops to get that !

Stone does a Grapefruit IPA.  It is surprisingly good.  (at least to me)