Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washer for braid-to-wall point in mash tun  (Read 5138 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Washer for braid-to-wall point in mash tun
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:30 am »
I have a braid/ball-valve contraption I built to use in both my 2- and 5-gallon coolers. The one thing  I don't like about it is the washer between the ball valve fitting and the cooler wall. At a loss to find anything better, I used two 5/8-inch rubber washers with the external diameter trimmed to fit. It creates a good seal but feels a little wobbly, so vorlaufing and other activities is always two-handed. I did not have good luck finding a metal washer that fit. Anyone else solve this problem?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Washer for braid-to-wall point in mash tun
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:59:18 am »
When I went this route an appropriate washer was found at lowes- however, I only used one and it was on the inside.

If you have the original drain see if some tubing fits through it. It may be all you need instead of the "contraption".
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:34 am »
But I love my ball valve!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
What is the OD of the pipe that goes through the cooler wall?  You should be able to find an appropriate sized washer for the outside definitely, a fender washer works for most.  It can tougher to find a foodsafe solution for the inside, i.e. stainless steel but it is possible.  I found mine at lowes but I believe any well stocked hardware store or even an automotive parts store may have them.

If you have a washer on the outside and inside of the cooler wall it will solidify everything.

My setup has the following as an illustration. 3/8" Ball valve (Female on both sides) to 1.5 inch 3/8 pipe nipple two (or 3?) zinc plated fender washers through the cooler wall.  Inside: the original plastic "washer" that was on the cooler drain followed by a stainless steel washer (which iirc is 1/2 ID?) then a threaded copper adapter tightened down on the pipe nipple leading to the manifold.

I helped a friend build a mlt and he had a 1/2" ball valve to work with already.  We were still able to get appropriate washers for his too.  Sorry, I cannot recall the details.  May have done some adapters to different sizes...

Hope that helps some.
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »
But I love my ball valve!

You can keep it (as I have) with a barbed-fitting fitted on the BV to attach to the tubing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:27 pm »
... two (or 3?) zinc plated fender washers through the cooler wall.  Inside: the original plastic "washer" that was on the cooler drain followed by a stainless steel washer (which iirc is 1/2 ID?) then a threaded copper adapter tightened down on the pipe nipple leading to the manifold.

Thanks, very close; here's my setup, if that helps. I'd really like to find those fender washers. If you have a PN that would be great. Can't believe something as mundane as a washer could be the deal it has been!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kgs/sets/72157615665837325/
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »
This guy has pretty much everything for conversions . .including SS washers for the bulkhead. go here and click on 'Parts'

http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop2.html
Just brew it...

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:37:57 pm »
Excellent, thanks!

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member