Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Disappointing carbonation  (Read 4889 times)

Offline jckemmer

• 1st Kit
Disappointing carbonation
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:30 am »

Our 5 gal. batch of IPA tasted delicious at bottling, but when time for enjoying it came, the bubbles were missing. It acted as though no priming sugar had been added.
Is there anything that can be done to resuscitate this fine brew now that it's in the bottle?
Thanks.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Disappointing carbonation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:33 am »

Our 5 gal. batch of IPA tasted delicious at bottling, but when time for enjoying it came, the bubbles were missing. It acted as though no priming sugar had been added.
Is there anything that can be done to resuscitate this fine brew now that it's in the bottle?
Thanks.

How long has it been and was the beer at room temp? 
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:38:58 am »

Thanks.

+1 to dave's comment.
Also describe how you went about bottling. How much priming sugar was added? How did you ensure the sugar was evenly distributed in the beer? (this is the most common carbonation problem, the sugar is not evenly distributed so some bottles don't get enough and some get too much). How long has it been in bottles? And st what temp has it been stored during the conditioning period?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jckemmer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:02 am »
We always put 4 oz. of corn sugar into the 5 gal. bottling bucket (covered) without any difficulties until now.  It's possible that it didn't get mixed well and the other bottles are better.
It's been in those bottles since Dec. 16, about 3 weeks today at room temp which is 70 to 74 degrees F.

Any suggestions for mixing the priming sugar at bottling time in the bottling bucket without excessive exposure to air?  Shake the bucket like I shake the fermenter after pitching the yeast?  Oxidation is a concern.
Thanks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:12 am »

Any suggestions for mixing the priming sugar at bottling time in the bottling bucket without excessive exposure to air?  Shake the bucket like I shake the fermenter after pitching the yeast?  Oxidation is a concern.
Thanks.

Add the dissolved sugar into the bottling bucket first, then rack beer on top.  It dissolves pretty uniformly this way.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:15 am »
I rack on the dissolved sugar and then give one slow swirl with a sanitized spoon.  Don't shake!!! 

You said 4 oz but was it dissolved or just straight in?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:32 am »

Thanks.

Add the dissolved sugar into the bottling bucket first, then rack beer on top.  It dissolves pretty uniformly this way.
I would have warned against that, but it probably depends exactly how you do it. I stir slowly for 30 seconds and it's pretty consistent.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:24:48 am »
If the sugar solution is hot it will mix more uniformly. I'll pour just off the boil and add it after a couple quarts have drained into the bucket. The natural swirl of the beer mixes it very well. So well I never even stir.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:36 am »
If the sugar solution is hot it will mix more uniformly. I'll pour just off the boil and add it after a couple quarts have drained into the bucket. The natural swirl of the beer mixes it very well. So well I never even stir.
That's exactly how I used to do it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:09 am »

That's a good idea too!
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
 I always racked on to the sugar when it was still warm/hot as mentioned , and positioned the hose in the bottom to create a good swirl.  I never had a batch where the carbonation wasn't consistent. +30 to my keg system though !
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:06 am »
I always racked on to the sugar when it was still warm/hot as mentioned , and positioned the hose in the bottom to create a good swirl.  I never had a batch where the carbonation wasn't consistent. +30 to my keg system though !

+1000 to kegging!  I only bottle high gravity stuff now.  Belgian quads, barleywines, etc...
Dave Zach

Offline jckemmer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »
All good suggestions.  I know because I use them.  I boil 4 oz. corn sugar in about 2 cups of water, siphon around 1.5 quarts into the bucket and then dump the boiled solution into the still siphoning beer.
More research in the form of bottle opening tonight will have to be done to see if the total batch is bad or just that one or a few bottles.
Kegging is coming soon, hopefully.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:58 pm »
Well I hope the tasting goes well! Cheers! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:38 am »
How hot is the sugar water when you mix it with the beer? Maybe you killed the yeast.