Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: VERY BITTER FLAVOR  (Read 5391 times)

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
VERY BITTER FLAVOR
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:32:01 am »
HELP PLEASE My brew from the primary and secondary are fine, when bottled after two weeks a very bitter/harsh alcohol flavor develops and gets worse with time.  The gravity final gravity doesn't change during the process.  All other flavors disappear.  No rings in bottle necks, no gushers, and no exploding bottles.  Equipment has been either replaced or boiled for sterilization with no change

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: VERY BITTER FLAVOR
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:25 am »
Sounds like fusel alcohol from the fermentation temp being too high.  Please talk us through your entire process....
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline diybrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • Owner of DIY Brewing Supply.
    • DIY Brewing Supply
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:42:40 am »
What are you sanitizing with? Sounds like you are getting infections.
DIY Brewing Supply owner. 
The best beer I ever had is the one I have in my hand.
DIY Brewing Supply

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
VERY BITTER FLAVOR
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:01 am »
Is it possible that oover crushing the grain will increase with age in the bottle or am I doomed with a house flavor.  My water is excellent drinking well water and available soft and filtered.  This problem occurs reardless of the style.

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
VERY BITTER FLAVOR
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:49:27 am »
HELP PLEASE My brew from the primary and secondary are fine, when bottled after two weeks a very bitter/harsh alcohol flavor develops and gets worse with time.  The gravity final gravity doesn't change during the process.  All other flavors disappear.  No rings in bottle necks, no gushers, and no exploding bottles.  Equipment has been either replaced or boiled for sterilization with no change.  Is it possible over crushing of grains can cause this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:50:11 am »
HELP PLEASE My brew from the primary and secondary are fine, when bottled after two weeks a very bitter/harsh alcohol flavor develops and gets worse with time.  The gravity final gravity doesn't change during the process.  All other flavors disappear.  No rings in bottle necks, no gushers, and no exploding bottles.  Equipment has been either replaced or boiled for sterilization with no change.  Is it possible over crushing of grains can cause this?

I can't think of any reason that overcrushing grain would cause that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:50:54 am »
There is no reason I can think of that overcrushing grain would cause this.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:56:31 am »
Impeciable sanitation from boiling equipmnent to 1 tbsp/gal bleach solution.  After brew cleaning with soap and extremely hot rinse.  Fermentation temps checked with the tape on fermometer always held to a 3-4 degree window 64-70 depending upon the yeast. Sometimes a starter sometimes not .  Secondary always at 56 degrees on basement floor.  Bottling temp 68 -74 degrees for 10 - 21 days whatever necessary to achieve carbonation.

Offline fritzeye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:22 pm »
There is no reason I can think of that overcrushing grain would cause this.

take it to heart from the man who says "crush till' your scared"   ;) a classic quote from Denny on the Batching Spargeing show on The Brewing Network.
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »
Impeciable sanitation from boiling equipmnent to 1 tbsp/gal bleach solution.  After brew cleaning with soap and extremely hot rinse.  Fermentation temps checked with the tape on fermometer always held to a 3-4 degree window 64-70 depending upon the yeast. Sometimes a starter sometimes not .  Secondary always at 56 degrees on basement floor.  Bottling temp 68 -74 degrees for 10 - 21 days whatever necessary to achieve carbonation.

Not sure if it has much to do with your problem but the words "Bleach" and "Soap" caught my attention.  I used to use both when I first started.  When I changed to Oxyclean/TSP90 for cleaning and starsan for sanitation my beer improved noticeably!  YMMV
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:38:13 pm »

Not sure if it has much to do with your problem but the words "Bleach" and "Soap" caught my attention.  I used to use both when I first started.  When I changed to Oxyclean/TSP90 for cleaning and starsan for sanitation my beer improved noticeably!  YMMV

+1

Two other things. Have you ever had your water tested. A water chemistry report might shed some light on this. The other question is pitching rate and temp...could you provide those details.
Ron Price

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:55:28 pm »
One of the things I read before I started my first brew is that hard water is better for flavor. Would any of the more experienced guys agree with this or disagree? Would that even be relavent to the bitter taste?

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »
Piching rates...smack pack, sometimes a starter if it is high gravity.  What exactly do they mean when your starter should be 2 liters?  Is that before decanting or do you pitch 2 liters?  I'm reading this from Homebrewers-Bible.  Very frustrated ready to quit...6 batch ruined since January...can't solve! 

Offline asu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »
I have a RO system installed in my house, since I'm doing extract full 5 gallon boil (never top off batch with cold water) would RO water be OK?  For all grain I understand we my have mashing complications.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:50:17 pm »
RO water will be fine for extract batches.  A 2 liter starter means two liters of starter wort.  You should let it ferment out, cold crash it in the fridge and decant the starter beer off and pitch just the slurry.
Clint
Wort Hogs