Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Idea for siphoning to keg?  (Read 5558 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Idea for siphoning to keg?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:29 pm »
I recently started using a pump with a cheap speed controller for a router. Does a great job and I hope to hook up a plate filter in the future. It's overkill but saves me lifting a carboy and hurting my back.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »
Are you going from a carboy to a keg?

If so, I have used the following system very successfully:

1. push a racking cane through one hole in one of those orange carboy caps with two nipples.
2. connect a hose to the output side of the racking cane.
3. connect a black keg connector (for beverage out) to the other end of the above hose.
4. connect that connector to the beverage out post on a purged and depressurized keg
5. connect your CO2 tank to the other carboy cap nipple and pressurize to 2-3 psi.

This will pressurize the whole carboy, forcing your beer out the racking cane and into the beverage out, filling your keg quiescently from the bottom, all under a blanket of CO2.

I was under the impression that glass carboys are rated for 0 PSI and this is a very bad idea.  is that incorrect?

it's not incorrect. carboys are not rated for pressure at all. However there are a lot of folks doing it without shattering carboys. A slightly safer way, although forgoing the benefit of only pushing with co2, is to use a sterile filter and blow into the other nipple to produce the positive pressure in the carboy. You probably don't even need the filter.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 01:51:35 pm »
I have never used a glass carboy - only better bottles.  I don't know if one can safely pressurize them.  I think I'd give it a go though at only 2-3 psi.  Man, if the are that fragile, they shouldn't be moved.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
I recently started using a pump with a cheap speed controller for a router. Does a great job and I hope to hook up a plate filter in the future. It's overkill but saves me lifting a carboy and hurting my back.

Sounds like a recipe for oxidation, but I take it you haven't had any problems?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:17:54 pm »
I've pushed beer out of carboys with the orange cap with short blasts of 10PSI. Maybe I was pushing my luck? But never had an issue with it.
Jesse

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:38 pm »

1. push a racking cane through one hole in one of those orange carboy caps with two nipples.
3. connect a black keg connector (for beverage out) to the other end of the above hose.
4. connect that connector to the beverage out post on a purged and depressurized keg
5. connect your CO2 tank to the other carboy cap nipple and pressurize to 2-3 psi.

This will pressurize the whole carboy, forcing your beer out the racking cane and into the beverage out, filling your keg quiescently from the bottom, all under a blanket of CO2.

I was under the impression that glass carboys are rated for 0 PSI and this is a very bad idea.  is that incorrect?

My understanding of this is that the Carboy cap will fly off before you could do damage to the carboy itself.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:45 pm »
Well hopefully you make sure the cap is going on a dry carboy lip.  id hate to hear of a carboy bottle bomb going off on someone!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 05:27:20 pm »

Sounds like a recipe for oxidation, but I take it you haven't had any problems?

No more than I would have had before. I purge the keg with co2 so the only oxygen would be what's in the tube from the carboy to the keg.

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:06 am »
it's not incorrect. carboys are not rated for pressure at all. However there are a lot of folks doing it without shattering carboys. A slightly safer way, although forgoing the benefit of only pushing with co2, is to use a sterile filter and blow into the other nipple to produce the positive pressure in the carboy. You probably don't even need the filter.

I typically use a aquarium pump set up to pressurize the carboy (better bottle) to start the siphon.  When I used glass, this was my process, too.

I've done what Beersk does, too.  But I'm not sure I ever did it with glass.

I think the glass would have to be substantially weakened already to explode from low pressure.  But since glass spooks me out, I've moved to plastic.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:04 am »
I don't believe carboys are rated for pressure at all, but I feel comfortable to apply ~3 psi to start my transfers to the keg. Once the flow starts the gas is turned off and I open it up here and there to keep the flow going strong.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 08:46:20 am »

Yes and no. They are not made to hold pressurized air. But they do hold pressure in the form of liquid pressing against the walls. Also, CO2 pressure will not build in the carboy if there is an outlet - and their is - the racking cane. In this case, the pressure in the carboy headspace will equal the weight of the beer from the beer surface to the bend of the racking cane (because that is the weakest source of resistance). It's only a few ounces of beer providing resistance, so pressure in the carboy would never even get close to 1/2 psi.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958