Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Classic American Pilsner  (Read 10514 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Classic American Pilsner
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:57 am »
Nevertheless,  my question stands... having no commercial example in this style is really testing my OCD.

Since the style calls for native American hops, which there is no such thing, their native to China if memory serves, maybe this is a mythical beer and that's why a commercial version doesn't exist.

Jim,  I think you'll need to visit Mr. Peabody and use the wayback machine.  Could be a good time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 09:14:37 am »
Amanda, I'd be in the same quandary if I hadn't tasted Jeff Renner's and a couple other versions influenced by him.  Maybe try Cluster and see if you get better comments.

Denny, that'd be like suggesting that you should use a bit of Fuggles in your wort.  ;D  Cluster is naaasty (read in Cleveland's voice) in my world.

Continuing on the good discussion though, anyone care to post Renner's CAP recipe?

Amanda, I generally would agree with you (sorry, chumley) but after tasting Jeff's beer with Clusters I can say it's one place they really work. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 09:27:44 am »
Denny, you being the godfather of batch sparging, how would you handle Jeff's mash schedule?

30 min @ 122
15 min @ 140
40 min @ 158
10 min @ mashout

Personally I hate step mashes in a cooler. Carrying boiling water isn't my cup of tea. Single infusion at 150-151?

IIRC, Jeff has modiifed that schedule significantly since the article was written.  I'd do 30 min. at 144 and 30 min. at 158.  hopfenmalz has mentioned that Jeff often uses polenta mashed in a pressure cooker.  Here's a more recent article by Jeff Renner, updating his procedure....http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
IIRC, Jeff has modiifed that schedule significantly since the article was written.  I'd do 30 min. at 144 and 30 min. at 158.  hopfenmalz has mentioned that Jeff often uses polenta mashed in a pressure cooker.  Here's a more recent article by Jeff Renner, updating his procedure....http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf

Thanks. One extra infusion isn't too bad and wouldn't take too much boiling water.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:37 am »
I've made it twice, pretty much following Jeff Renner's recipe per Jeff Rankert.  It's a Jeff thing.
I used 20% Quaker old fashioned grits and 80% pils malt in the first batch which won awards and 80% 6-row in the second batch.
Mash in the main mash with everything except the grits and 20% of the malt at 148.
Mash the grits and the other 20% of the malt together at 156F for 30 minutes and then bring it to a boil for 60 minutes.
Add this back to the main mash to bring it up to 156 or so.
Cluster for bittering and noble hops for flavor and aroma - about 35 to 40 BU's.
I used 2206 in mine, because that's the lager yeast I had at the time.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:20 am »
Jim, Snoqualmie does a CAP for their Summer seasonal IIRC. That should have distribution through the whole state, and maybe in Oregon as well.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
Since the style calls for native American hops, which there is no such thing, their native to China if memory serves, maybe this is a mythical beer and that's why a commercial version doesn't exist.

IMO, that is a misnomer in the guidelines.

There actually are "native American hops" for example Humulus lupulus neomexicanus
They are the wild common variety that occurred here prior to European settlement.

What I think they are talking about here are early American hops that may have become "naturalized".
Cluster is one of these varieties still around today...but it still has its origins from whatever the settlers brought over and it gradually became known as the classic American hop...for use in the Classic American Pilsner! :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 12:58:32 pm »
I've made it twice, pretty much following Jeff Renner's recipe per Jeff Rankert.  It's a Jeff thing.
I used 20% Quaker old fashioned grits and 80% pils malt in the first batch which won awards and 80% 6-row in the second batch.
Mash in the main mash with everything except the grits and 20% of the malt at 148.
Mash the grits and the other 20% of the malt together at 156F for 30 minutes and then bring it to a boil for 60 minutes.
Cluster for bittering and noble hops for flavor and aroma - about 35 to 40 BU's.

Why the 60 min boil on the corn? I thought the small starch granules would be taken care of before that, I could be wrong. Are you after more melanoidin formation?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:03 pm »

Why the 60 min boil on the corn? I thought the small starch granules would be taken care of before that, I could be wrong. Are you after more melanoidin formation?

old fashioned grits are pretty chunky. I know when I cook them they are edible at 30 minutes but they are still 'al dente' if you want mush it could well take an hour.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »

That is what I missed. I am using corn meal tomorrow, 20 min or so is good. The one time the club did a beer with grits from South Carolina - that was forever, about 2 hours. those were chunky!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »

That is what I missed. I am using corn meal tomorrow, 20 min or so is good. The one time the club did a beer with grits from South Carolina - that was forever, about 2 hours. those were chunky!
I will say that the grits and malt mixture after the 60 minute decoction boil tasted great, better than breakfast grits.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »
I think it's awesome that the classic native American hops name rhymes with Custer

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »
I think it's awesome that the classic native American hops name rhymes with Custer

Not really classic, more just for General use...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »

Wonder if they grow in Little Big Horn......just sayin'
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:25 am »

Wonder if they grow in Little Big Horn......just sayin'

aww man, if you guys don't quit it I'm just gonna massacre the lot of you! (too far?)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce