Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Pilsner water?  (Read 16932 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Re: German Pilsner water?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
What yeast Denny?  That part about yeast evolving to conform to the local water is just a hypothesis on my part. I need data on which yeast worked well at what calcium content. I do know that the boh pils yeast does not like calcium at 40 ppm.

I am using 34/70 Boh pils so i suppose i will need to have the Ca a little higher i suppose?  Do you happen to have an idea of what range Boh pils does like?

I suppose that if my grain bill/malt supplies some ppm of Ca i should be OK to push it in the low range of 40ppm on the water calculator? i have heard that the grist can supply up to 70ppm of ca? i think it was a pod cast from palmer recently.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:16:19 pm by quattlebaum »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 04:25:27 pm »
I'm assuming Martin meant the opposite - the region where Czech Pilseners became famous is famous for very soft water.  I've heard of BoPils being made with well under the oft-quoted 50ppm Ca.
Jon H.

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 06:37:37 am »
I have a German pils on tap that I made using the Jever (boiled) profile from Bru'nwater.  I'm loving it!   Not only that, but it was on tap 4 weeks to the day after I brewed it.  That included only a week of lagering.  At 4 weeks, it was crystal clear and delicious.

Sounds LUSH! :P Any chance of the recipe Denny? ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 08:40:57 am »
I have a German pils on tap that I made using the Jever (boiled) profile from Bru'nwater.  I'm loving it!   Not only that, but it was on tap 4 weeks to the day after I brewed it.  That included only a week of lagering.  At 4 weeks, it was crystal clear and delicious.

Good quality pils malt to about 1.052ish, good quality noble hops to 30-35 IBU.  Ferment at 52 til done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 09:06:50 am »
Sounds pretty Jever-ish.  Enjoy!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommymorris

German Pilsner water?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »

Good quality pils malt to about 1.052ish, good quality noble hops to 30-35 IBU.  Ferment at 52 til done.
That is basically the recipe I use for what I think is a Czech Pilsner also except I use Saaz hops to maybe 40 IBU.  For German I do what you wrote with Hallertau.

Am I right to call one Czech and one German or is my Saaz beer just a German Pilsner with Saaz?

I don’t have a good feel from drinking European beers. I don’t get too many and I have never been to either country. So really I am just guessing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:54:02 pm by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:29 pm »

That is basically the recipe I use for what I think is a Czech Pilsner also except I use Saaz hops to maybe 40 IBU.  For German I do what you wrote with Hallertau.

Am I right to call one Czech and one German or is my Saaz beer just a German Pilsner with Saaz?

I don’t have a good feel from drinking European beers. I don’t get too many and I have never been to either country. So really I am just guessing.

IMO, a BoPils should use softer water so it has a mellower hop chracter.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »

It's also a bit less bitter than a German Pils and ever so slightly darker.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 03:23:10 pm »

Interesting. Maybe I’ll try a softer water profile for the BoPils. Though I like the crispness I get from a the bitterness now.

Lately, I’ve been stuck in CAPS. Gotta get over those before going back to BoPils :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »

Interesting. Maybe I’ll try a softer water profile for the BoPils. Though I like the crispness I get from a the bitterness now.

Lately, I’ve been stuck in CAPS. Gotta get over those before going back to BoPils :)

Or make German pils

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 04:02:27 pm »

Or make German pils
Yeah. German Pils with Saaz.  I really like Saaz.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 04:16:52 pm »
Just got a sack of Barke Pils today - LHBS ordered it for me, so it looks like its time for a German Pils!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
I will just say the Jever Brewery still claims it is brewed to 40 IBU. Sulfate is around 75ish for dryness.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline OhDannyBoy!

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 07:49:13 am »

Are you just adding hops at the start of this one?
Any lagering or just 11c until done?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 08:22:47 am »

Are you just adding hops at the start of this one?
Any lagering or just 11c until done?

Sometimes I add finishing hops, sometimes I don't. Depends on ,good and what hops I've got on hand.  I generally ferment at 52 for 5 days or so, then raise to 72F for 2-3 days, then crash to 35F until ready....generally 5 days-2 weeks.  As you can see it's not as much a recipe as a process.

www.dennybrew.com