Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What size CO2 tank is appropriate?  (Read 13037 times)

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
What size CO2 tank is appropriate?
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:28 pm »
I have almost completed a two year remodeling project that included a bar with 6 taps and moving my brewing operation from the kitchen to the garage.  I'm getting ready to build my keezer and I am certain the 5lb CO2 tank I have is not going to work with 6 kegs.  What size CO2 tank would you recommend for 6 kegs? 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What size CO2 tank is appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »
I recommend as big as you can fit in the space you have. Larger tanks are cheaper per lb to fill or swamp and don't cost much more than a 5 lb. I have a 20 and a 10.

Offline tbmcdonough@suffolk.edu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:53:28 pm »
I would still keep your 5 lb tank so you can use that carbonate your beer separately but a 20 lb is plenty and still fits inside your keezer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:08:09 pm »
I now have a 5, a 10 and two 20s. They all have advantages on size, where you can put them, and $/Fill.

If I had to do it over, I would have 2 tens and the two 20s.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »
I have a 5 and a 20. If you have the space, definitely get a 20lb tank.
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:34 am »
I have a 2.5 and 2 20 pounders.  The small one works great for parties and the 20s mean I never run out of gas.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:31 am »
5 can work but you'll refill often and spend more per pound on gas. 20 is great if you have room. Since you're building the kegerator, just plan to run the gas line out so you can keep the tank on the outside.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:23 am »
I started with the standard 5 pounder when i first got my kegging system about 3 years ago. I just bought a 20 pounder this week after i found out the cost difference in fill-ups. I figure I'll keep the big bottle for everything I do around the brewery and the small bottle for bringing to parties and such. I have absolutely no regrets getting the bigger bottle.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:57:03 am »
I have a 2.5 and 2 20 pounders.  The small one works great for parties and the 20s mean I never run out of gas.

Paul
Wow, you must not drink/brew much. I'm going through a 20 pounder in around a year. I brewed 38 four gallon batches last year, which is more than I plan to do this year, actually.
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 08:17:06 am »
I run a 20# on the kegerator and have two 5#, one is my utility for carbing and travel the other is the backup.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:55:20 am »

Paul
Wow, you must not drink/brew much. I'm going through a 20 pounder in around a year. I brewed 38 four gallon batches last year, which is more than I plan to do this year, actually.

I really meant that I have plenty of time to get tanks refilled without interrupting the flow but I don't brew as much as I used to.  It is a bit tough to consume all you "can" brew when the only consistent drinker in the house is me.  I'm trying to brew less and drink fresher as well as drop a little weight.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »
  If you have the space go with the 20#.  I f you need it to be mobile go with the 5#.  I have a 20# hooked up to the keg fridge and use the 5# for events and bottling.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:52 pm »
I now have a 5, a 10 and two 20s. They all have advantages on size, where you can put them, and $/Fill.

Same here.  But it might be 3 20s and I think the 10 might be a 15.  So not really the same.  But it's nice to have a couple back ups.  I've got three empties right now, but no worries.  One of the ones that's not empty is a beer gas mix, which is nice to have but completely unnecessary.

I like having the 5. It's perfect for parties.  It's a real pain when I have to lug out a big tank for parties, which I've done twice last year.  I fill the five more often though.  I've been thinking of trying to exchange one of the 20s for a tank with a pick-up tube in it, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of filling at home.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:26 am »
Thanks fo the advice.  I have plenty of room so a 20lb tank it is.  Time to go shopping.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 04:39:30 am »
I'd check with your gas supplier. I made the mistake of buying tanks online then found out the gas shop would have been cheaper and they took my shiny new ones in trade. Bye bye money and coolness