Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt conditioning rocks!  (Read 22998 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Malt conditioning rocks
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 08:28:31 am »
Having a hard time figuring out how I could do this with my process in 10 minutes without a spare set of hands. I generally weigh the malt into a bucket then grind into another bucket. I suppose the easiest way would be to damp it down each level as I pour out. I may give it a try sometime just to see what is getting you guys so excited. Probably won't though.  ;) :P

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 08:52:55 am »
FWIW. The Maltmill factory setting is .040"
Ron Price

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:10 am »
Having a hard time figuring out how I could do this with my process in 10 minutes without a spare set of hands. I generally weigh the malt into a bucket then grind into another bucket. I suppose the easiest way would be to damp it down each level as I pour out. I may give it a try sometime just to see what is getting you guys so excited. Probably won't though.  ;) :P

I weigh all my grains into a big plastic bucket (oh noez teh leeching chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!, no worries its an old bucket-fermenter that is gooned up)
Once the grain bill is weighed I sit on a chair with the bucket on the floor and spray/mix until I have the desired amount of water on the grains.
The lid gets put on and I roll it around on the basement floor for a few minutes then let it sit until the next AM
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 09:12:46 am »
This is interesting idea. (I mean I have heard about it before).
I mill my grains night before because I brew early in the morning and I do not want to wake up anybody.

babalu87  I see that you condition night before milling.
Could I condition and mill it day before?
Would I have any issue with Lacto Bacteria?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 09:21:16 am »
This is interesting idea. (I mean I have heard about it before).
I mill my grains night before because I brew early in the morning and I do not want to wake up anybody.

babalu87  I see that you condition night before milling.
Could I condition and mill it day before?
Would I have any issue with Lacto Bacteria?

Kaiser would know better than myself  but I think you would be fine as your really only bumping up the moisture content by 2% or so.

Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 09:46:28 am »
I would like to know how long to wait for the grain to absorb it, and how long would be too long?

Last brew I sprayed the malt after each scoopfull I put into the bucket. Don't have any data because I also widened the mill gap.
Brew on

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »
Major, it took me about 10 minutes this last time to wet the grain, I only brew 5 gallon batches.  Spray, stir, and repeat. Then I let it sit about 5 minutes before milling.  I could see it being difficult with larger grists, and more work.  You'd almost have to weigh out the grain in several smaller more manageable batches to use the same technique.

Babalu, that's an interesting technique about letting it sit overnight, I only let it sit as long as it takes me to hand mill the grain, plus maybe 5 minutes.  Do the husks still feel sorta sticky the next day, or does the grain absorb all the surface moisture?

As for lacto, I haven't let it sit overnight yet.  If Babalu isn't tasting any sourness then it may not be an issue. 

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »
Major, it took me about 10 minutes this last time to wet the grain, I only brew 5 gallon batches.  Spray, stir, and repeat. Then I let it sit about 5 minutes before milling.  I could see it being difficult with larger grists, and more work.  You'd almost have to weigh out the grain in several smaller more manageable batches to use the same technique.

Babalu, that's an interesting technique about letting it sit overnight, I only let it sit as long as it takes me to hand mill the grain, plus maybe 5 minutes.  Do the husks still feel sorta sticky the next day, or does the grain absorb all the surface moisture?

As for lacto, I haven't let it sit overnight yet.  If Babalu isn't tasting any sourness then it may not be an issue. 

No, they feel fine
My basement isnt exactly dry though.
Not wet but it isnt Arizona either  ;)
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Offline pashusa

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »
I don't know what benifit there would be in malt conditioning rocks. they will still be hard and will not do your grain crusher any good. I think you could just leave the rocks out of the grain and it will grind a lot easier. :D
I wasn't even in town that day, I swear.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »
I have to remember to try this sometime.  I've not really having runoff problems unless its a decoction-  all the protein crap that comes out gums up my runoff.   I suppose rice hulls would fix this too.  
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »
I don't know what benifit there would be in malt conditioning rocks. they will still be hard and will not do your grain crusher any good. I think you could just leave the rocks out of the grain and it will grind a lot easier. :D
HA!  I thought the same sort of thing when I read the title of this post.    "what is he conditioning rocks for?"
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline pashusa

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 06:03:17 pm »
I will try the malt conditioning thing. I use a Corona mill so this might help some. If not I'll quit.
I wasn't even in town that day, I swear.

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:45 pm »

Spray bottle in one hand, mix with the other.  My god man, haven't you ever made biscuits?  ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 05:32:26 am »

Spray bottle in one hand, mix with the other.  My god man, haven't you ever made biscuits?  ;)

I have never made 20 gallons of biscuits, no.  :P

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Malt conditioning rocks!
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 06:55:57 am »

Added exclamation point for clarity