Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt conditioning rocks!  (Read 22995 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Malt conditioning rocks!
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 09:26:26 am »
I'm definitely going to give it a try next time just to see.  If it works, great.  If not, no great loss.....
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 10:03:35 am »
What would you guess is the inrease in MLT space needed? I've heard it described as FLUFFY; and I know some people push thier volume limits with certain recipes.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 10:12:08 am »
What would you guess is the inrease in MLT space needed? I've heard it described as FLUFFY; and I know some people push thier volume limits with certain recipes.

-OCD

Its not fluffy once strike water is added
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline mybeerpants

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 02:36:56 pm »
I tried malt conditioning on my last brew and did notice a favorable difference. The grain husks were kept much more intact and I didn't end up with the think layer of sludge on top of the mash during sparging that I normally get. The runoff went really well. I'm going to stick with it for the next few brews and see if the results are the same across different grain bills.
So little to say and so much time.
FWIWLOLOMGLMAOIMHO

Offline jhwk

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:20 pm »
FWIW, the barley crusher default factory setting is supposed to be .039"
Life Member - Yeah, and I am still waiting on that $600 t-shirt...

Offline intrinsic

• Cellarman
  • Firestone, Co
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »
I wonder if conditioning the malt would cut down on the shredding of the husk when using a Corona mill. I know, a Corona mill. I am from the old school way of thinking so if it ain't broke then don't fix. That being said, I really am going to buy a real mill one of these days.
--Wes
Rocky Mountain Brewer
East of Avery Brewery, South of New Belgium, Co.

Offline tireater

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 07:22:42 pm »
I'm gonna do a batch in the morning and would like to try this...
Is 80ml of water enough for 16 lbs of grain with rye malt ?

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:54 pm »
I wonder if conditioning the malt would cut down on the shredding of the husk when using a Corona mill. I know, a Corona mill. I am from the old school way of thinking so if it ain't broke then don't fix. That being said, I really am going to buy a real mill one of these days.

I bet it would. My crush has more and larger husk pieces though I use a roller mill.

Try it once and see how it looks, certainly cant hurt

Kaisers site has excellent information on it.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 03:42:07 pm »
I never thought that malt conditioning would find so many fans so quickly since it is one of those techniques that aren't really necessary and add a bit more work.

Let me see if I can address concerns and questions raised here:

Major, I see your problem. Conditioning 20+ lb of malt is difficult unless you build yourself a cement mixer type apparatus in which you can mix the malt while you spay it with water. I thought of adding something like this to a mill-stand if I ever find the time to build one. But there is no need to condition the malt in the first place if you don't have run-off issues.

Wheat malt doesn't have husks by a pericarp that gets somewhat preserved through conditioning. Just look at the link that was posted in the original thread. It shows pictures of dry and conditioned wheat malt.

Malt conditioning is not wet milling. The latter involves milling malt under water. This is very messy and unpractical for a home brewer. Malt conditioning only uses a little water to raise the husk moisture content. If properly done, there is only little to no free water on the grains during milling. That's why it works so well with conventional mills.

You can condition and mill the night before. I have done it many time w/o problems. The amount of moisture added is too little to get bacteria, mold or yeast started on the grain. These days I condition and mill the grain while the strike water is heating. It fits well in that time and does not lengthen my brew day.

If you do decoctions, you also have the option to mill much coarser since the intensity of the decoction mash can deal with much coarser grists while giving you the same conversion efficiency (i.e. amount of extracted sugar)

I haven't tried conditioning the night before and milling the day of brewing. I thought that the moisture would have penetrated further than the husks and the conditioning would not be as effective. I guess there is still a lot of room for experimenting and finding practices that may even work better than what I have published.

I have not tried it with a corona mill but are very interested in hearing about your experiences. Some brewers in my club have them and I may try to borrow one some day to test it for myself.

Malt conditioning raises the grist volume by about 30%. But that doesn't mean that the mash volume will be greater since the actual volume of the malt solids is not increased. The grist is just "fluffier" and more open. Which is a nice thing in thin mashes, which I'm advocating as well, since the grain is distributed more evenly throughout the mash.

I don't have a problem with rusting rollers. The only rust I have is on the adjustment knob and that doesn't get in contact with the conditioned malt anyway.

I used to say that less husk shredding means less astringency, but I have backed off from this statement as there is no mention of this in the literature and I have no data to support that. Bamforth and Lewis say the same in "Essays in Brewing Science".

In the end you should see it as just another tool that you may or may not use in your brewing. It's not the key to brewing excellent beers nor will be a guarantee against stuck sparges. It just allows you to mill a bit finer while maintaining run-off speed. If you mill too fine you'll still get a stuck sparge since there will be too much flour in the grist. As with all new techniques: If you are interested give it a try and see for yourself if it is worth the added effort. If you can hide the added time behind a longer process step (e.g. heating strike water) wile improving lauter speed, malt conditioning can actually save you time. But I have not done good enough side-by-sides to confirm this.

Kai

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 05:24:15 am »
Good post, as usual Kai. Thanks for filling in al the gaps. Personally, for me, it is an extra step that I don't feel is necessary. However it is a good piece to have in your toolbox and down the road I might just try it someday to impress the chicks. ;)

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
I haven't tried conditioning the night before and milling the day of brewing. I thought that the moisture would have penetrated further than the husks and the conditioning would not be as effective. I guess there is still a lot of room for experimenting and finding practices that may even work better than what I have published.

My experience is that conditioning 24 hours prior to milling is NOT as effective.  As Kai mentioned above, it seems that the moisture migrates away from the husk and further into the grain.

I think it is much more effective to let the malt rest for a time.  Probably more than 30 minutes but less than 3 hours.  However, a long interval between conditioning and milling negates the effectiveness of this technique IME.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:15 pm »
I just malt conditioned and crushed malt for tomorrow brew.
To looks great. Husk is intact and I did not get any grain dust.
Thank you Kai
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:48 pm »
Thank you Kai

Thanks,
I didn't come up with it, though. I just found it and figured it would work for home brewers too.

Kai

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:12 pm »
I conditioned 40 lbs. of grain Saturday with about 4-5 oz. of water.  I've never had a crush look so good!  Husks were totally in tact with the endosperm fully exposed or completely detached.  I can't say if it improved the efficiency because I did a partigyle but the OG/SG of the first runnings was way over my expectation and the second runnings were over too.  Looking forward to trying it with a single brew to see how much better it really is...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »
Glad to see that it worked for you. Did you tighten the mill gap as well?  Generally that is necessary to improve your efficiency.

Kai