Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: D2 candi syrup and head retention  (Read 3476 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: D2 candi syrup and head retention
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:19 am »
I have used D180 in significant quantities on two occasions. In the quad I brewed, it retained wonderful head. However, in the saison I brewed the head disappears immediately, and I can think of no good reason for that. Could be the D180 now that you mention it.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »
Special B limits head retention?

Charlie didn't go so far as to say which specific crystal malts limit head retention, but according to his experiments it seems like most do. I was left with the impression that it varied both by color and maltster, but he didn't want to single out any specific products. I couldn't say for sure whether Special B specifically is one of them.

Wow, hadn't heard that. Definitely goes counter to the conventional wisdom. But some of the old accepted info has proven to be not so legit - secondary, using sugar, etc.

Apparently this is brand-spanking new information. Charlie made the exact opposite claim in his book on Foam that just came out in 2012, but he recently did a round of experiments that contradict this old wisdom.

I don't always listen to the Session, but every interview with Charlie Bamforth is gold as far as brewing information goes. There was a lot of good info in this recent interview.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
Haven't been using foam positive malts because for the most part I haven't needed to. Since I only brew this recipe once or twice a year it hasn't been something I have been able to track carefully. Last year when the head faded quickly I thought "that's weird, wonder why?" This year when it does the same thing again I start putting some commonalities together.

the "release agent" thing is very interesting and makes sense. Thanks for that insight. I'll look into it.

If it is indeed from an additive used in the process of making the syrup, then maybe using another brand (i.e., D-180 instead of D2) may make a difference.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »
I really doubt it's from an additive.  I'll ask the candisyrup.com guys if they'll weigh in here.

ETA:  Ooops, it's D2, not D-180.  Different company!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:21:20 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell