Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY1056 @ 42 degrees  (Read 4716 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: WY1056 @ 42 degrees
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »
did you get the magical apple/pear ester that it supposedly produces at low temps?

acetaldehyde?

no perhaps I am thinking about the peach. there is supposedly an ester that us-05 will produce if fermented cool enough. now that I am thinking back perhaps it IS peach.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:25:36 pm »
This is a contract brew so I don't really have the luxury of experimenting. That said, I've had this happen before and never experienced those flavors. Not quite this cold, but below 50.

Is not fermenting this cold a bit of an experiment?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:05 pm »
This is a contract brew so I don't really have the luxury of experimenting. That said, I've had this happen before and never experienced those flavors. Not quite this cold, but below 50.

Is not fermenting this cold a bit of an experiment?

Well, yeah. I guess it is! But not intentional. I had a few "choice words" when I walked in and saw that this morning.

Got it up to 50. Hope to get it up to 56-58.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:30 pm »
Major - I saw you said it turned great. So do you think you got full attenuation @ 42F, or do you think warming up finished it off ? Just curious - still blown away that it went strong that low.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 04:54:46 am »
Major - I saw you said it turned great. So do you think you got full attenuation @ 42F, or do you think warming up finished it off ? Just curious - still blown away that it went strong that low.

The beer that turned out great was an "IMperial Amber" (kind of a malty, reddish IIPA). IIRC it dropped down below 50 degrees and was chugging along like there was not a care in the world. I raised the temp to the mid 60s on that one and had no off flavors/attenuation problems.

I got this one up to 55 before I left last night. Be interesting to see if thermic activity brought it up any over night. Otherwise I'll be raising it again today.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:33 am »

The beer that turned out great was an "IMperial Amber" (kind of a malty, reddish IIPA). IIRC it dropped down below 50 degrees and was chugging along like there was not a care in the world. I raised the temp to the mid 60s on that one and had no off flavors/attenuation problems.

I got this one up to 55 before I left last night. Be interesting to see if thermic activity brought it up any over night. Otherwise I'll be raising it again today.

Ok, I see. Cool.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:41 am »
did you get the magical apple/pear ester that it supposedly produces at low temps?

acetaldehyde?

Nope, not green apple.  Just estery/fruity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 10:16:50 am »

acetaldehyde?

Nope, not green apple.  Just estery/fruity.

I think I was confusing two different mystery esters. Us-05 supposedly throws a peach/apricot ester. The budweiser strain supposedly throws the apple/pear ester.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 11:01:15 am »
I think I was confusing two different mystery esters. Us-05 supposedly throws a peach/apricot ester. The budweiser strain supposedly throws the apple/pear ester.

My experience is that there ain't no "supposedly" about it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:44 am »

I haven't gone looking for the ester in US-05 yet (mainly because I don't think I want to find it), but the pear one is there in the WY2007 (fermented mid-50's), IME. Not that its a bad thing - it's actually nice in the APL I brewed with it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »

+1.  I've definitely noticed it in S05.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 08:45:41 pm »
I thought the mystery flavor was the peach/bubblegum? :-*

Major, what exactly is a "contract brew"?  Brewing for another brewery?

Its a big deal these days. Maybe it has been for a while. I forget who some of the biggies are who do it. From what I understand it's basically paying a brewery to brew your recipe to a determined set of specs (whatever is in the contract). I think it's the least profitable way to get your beer in the consumers hands but it's a foot in the door without a lot of capital outlay.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »
I've found US-05 to be less flocculant than Wy1056 (or 001). Having the yeast is suspension has given me the "peach" character. It's faint. It also is mixed with a dusty yeast like character. I don't think any of this is temperature sensitive.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 07:03:22 am »
I thought the mystery flavor was the peach/bubblegum? :-*

Major, what exactly is a "contract brew"?  Brewing for another brewery?

Its a big deal these days. Maybe it has been for a while. I forget who some of the biggies are who do it. From what I understand it's basically paying a brewery to brew your recipe to a determined set of specs (whatever is in the contract). I think it's the least profitable way to get your beer in the consumers hands but it's a foot in the door without a lot of capital outlay.

Sam Adams is the big one;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 07:18:13 am »
I had always thought that US-05 and 1056 were nearly identical strains, but maybe I should try 1056 instead of US-05 and see how I like it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"