Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW 101  (Read 10213 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: PBW 101
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »
yearly or so reminder that PBW at recommended concentrations can eventually damage Better Bottles.  Depending on your concentration it doesn't even take that long.  (Buckets seem to be fine.)  I get around this by inverting the BB after a little while so it can continue to work on that stubborn krauesen ring without sitting on the bottom of the BB and causing any caustic stress cracking.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:59 pm »
yearly or so reminder that PBW at recommended concentrations can eventually damage Better Bottles.  Depending on your concentration it doesn't even take that long.  (Buckets seem to be fine.)  I get around this by inverting the BB after a little while so it can continue to work on that stubborn krauesen ring without sitting on the bottom of the BB and causing any caustic stress cracking.
I do not buy it.
PBW is non caustic alkaline cleaner.
To my experience PBW work the best at lower temp range.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:07 pm »
Anyone ever run PBW through an automatic coffee maker?
It sure worked great on the carafe and my nasty old thermos.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:07:59 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 09:07:04 pm »
I do not buy it.
PBW is non caustic alkaline cleaner.
To my experience PBW work the best at lower temp range.

I speak from experience, but if you do not wish to believe it, by all means do not.  I know what I will and will not do again with PBW and am comfortable with my current procedure.
a simple google search will turn up many people who have ended up with something that looks like what you see on page 8 here.
http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/WashingSanitizingStudy.pdf

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
I use a half scoop (line 2 of a big scooper) if oxyclean in my better bottles. Most of the time I leave them overnight, sometimes a bit longer. Never had an issue in 4 years and 40+ batches each.

I wonder how much was used in the bottle that cracked.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:02 am »
I have not used it on the coffee maker, but PBW made an old SS thermos very shiny on the inside.

Our coffee maker needs to have vinegar run through it to dissolve scale. The carafe, I would just use PBW and hot tap water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:26 am »
I have not used it on the coffee maker, but PBW made an old SS thermos very shiny on the inside.

Our coffee maker needs to have vinegar run through it to dissolve scale. The carafe, I would just use PBW and hot tap water.

I use it in the carafe every few months, soaking overnight. That works terrifically, but I haven't tried running it though the coffeemaker itself.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:21 am »

Brilliant! I've used it to break up burnt-on crud on pots and pans, but never thought about running it through the Keurig. I'm thinking PBW > vinegar (to neutralize & help dissolve scale) > 2x hot water rinse should do the trick
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 10:51:41 am »

Brilliant! I've used it to break up burnt-on crud on pots and pans, but never thought about running it through the Keurig. I'm thinking PBW > vinegar (to neutralize & help dissolve scale) > 2x hot water rinse should do the trick
The scale in mine is most likely calcium carbonate from our mineral laden water. An acid like vinegar will take care of it. If you don't use vinegar or other acids, coffee makers last a year around here.

PBW works great on organic deposits, so it will take care of the brown build up in a carafe.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »

The scale in mine is most likely calcium carbonate from our mineral laden water. An acid like vinegar will take care of it. If you don't use vinegar or other acids, coffee makers last a year around here.

PBW works great on organic deposits, so it will take care of the brown build up in a carafe.

All right, I'll run the test and report back. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 04:22:17 pm »

I speak from experience, but if you do not wish to believe it, by all means do not.  I know what I will and will not do again with PBW and am comfortable with my current procedure.
a simple google search will turn up many people who have ended up with something that looks like what you see on page 8 here.
http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/WashingSanitizingStudy.pdf

cheers--
--Michael

The text under the photo says 'likely caused by' a high concentration of pbw for 8 hours.

I'm not going to argue that pbw can cause a problem but those are weasel words. They need to prove it causes problems. Why not work with 5 star since better bottles and pbw are a staple in just about every homebrewers garage?

Again, I'm not arguing with you or better bottle. I just would like clear evidence and not maybe it was caused by misuse of a cleaning product.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:09 pm »

Works like a charm.  Coffe has been much better all week. 
Well, at least when I make it.   ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:54 pm »
My LHBS sells PBW for $16 a lb which I think is crazy. Is that similar for anyone else? 
I hooked into a distributor and bought a 55 lb pail for $120. Big mark up.
I find myself much more likely to use the recommended amount now.

120 is a really good deal, thats essentially what distributors pay for them from 5Star.  Also when you buy from Distributors there is no retail mark up, thats 55lb pail should go for about 300 bucks, and bulk is ALWAYS cheaper

I get that size a special order from my LHBS.  He charges $145

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »

FYI - I ran some PBW through my Keurig a couple of weeks ago and it worked like a charm. I put about 1/2 tsp in 8oz of water (I have a single cup brewer), then ran the PBW water through twice. I then ran three "rinse" cycles through it. Five years of buildup is now just like new.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 05:41:38 am »
Hope this isn't too much of a hijack-  Why is it that PBW works great here but oxyclean leaves a gritty deposit after a few hours?  I've always assumed its a water chemistry issue but I'm curious if anyone else has run across this.

Thanks